Shooting at Conventions with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrGutts, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MrGutts

MrGutts Guest

Hello all,

This is more noobie advice that I need and how to deal with the Olympus OM-D E-M5 at conventions, large crowds, low light and tons of movement. I tend to go to conventions a bunch and like taking photos of Cosplayers and other sites at the cons.

So here are my questions and I know some maybe really basic but please help me out here. I was using my M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 lens, I think it was a bad choice to bring because its really hard to get close to folks when they are lined up posing.

First is focusing and focus area with the E-M5. Should I stick with fast auto or manual and the focus point, should I focus on the entire frame or just a single point to weed out all the movement? I noticed while I was using auto, I think the camera sometimes re-focused on movement it was picking up just a split second before I shoot.

I know classes will fix a bunch of this, but its always good to ask the guys/gals who been doing it a long damn time.

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The 45/1.8 will give you much more reach with the same large aperture. I usually use single spot focusing, if I'll have time to focus and reframe. I have Fn2 set to focus.
  3. MrGutts

MrGutts Guest

Ahh thank you, and I think the 45 is onsale or at least discounted some.