Shooting at Conventions with the Olympus OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrGutts, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MrGutts

MrGutts Guest

Hello all,

This is more noobie advice that I need and how to deal with the Olympus OM-D E-M5 at conventions, large crowds, low light and tons of movement. I tend to go to conventions a bunch and like taking photos of Cosplayers and other sites at the cons.

So here are my questions and I know some maybe really basic but please help me out here. I was using my M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 lens, I think it was a bad choice to bring because its really hard to get close to folks when they are lined up posing.

First is focusing and focus area with the E-M5. Should I stick with fast auto or manual and the focus point, should I focus on the entire frame or just a single point to weed out all the movement? I noticed while I was using auto, I think the camera sometimes re-focused on movement it was picking up just a split second before I shoot.

I know classes will fix a bunch of this, but its always good to ask the guys/gals who been doing it a long damn time.

Thanks

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    The 45/1.8 will give you much more reach with the same large aperture. I usually use single spot focusing, if I'll have time to focus and reframe. I have Fn2 set to focus.

3. MrGutts

MrGutts Guest

Ahh thank you, and I think the 45 is onsale or at least discounted some.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.