Shooting an Outdoor Lighting Extravaganza.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mike Wingate, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    So no tripods allowed. Fast prime rather than a zoom? I am in a group, timed entrance, so no time to dally. On the move, 20:00 hours for 40 minutes in December, outdoors. Lighting is by projector. Candles, fairy lights, coloured gels on flood lights. Water reflections, trees and walkways. Any advice, probably no time to change a lens in the dark, a one time opportunity.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I'd recommend your 15 and 25mm primes, especially since you don't appear to have an f/2.8 zoom.

Choose whichever matches the viewing distance better.

3. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I shall take a carbon monopod, mounted on a Cullmann shoulder sling with pouch, so I can move and not block peoples movement. Probably take just the PL15, small light, fast and freezes action in the light. The P25 would take what I see through my own eyes, but I love the PL15, and the wider angle should cope.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If bulk is a concern, you could always try the old string monopod method. An eyebolt into the tripod mount socket, length of cord to reach from that eye bolt to the ground when holding the camera at eye level and then a large washer on the ground end that you can step on. Step on it, pull up on the cord to create tension while shooting. Wads up in the palm of your hand and easily fits in any pocket.

I use this method with my Peak Design "leash". I just unclip one side and let the leash drop and step on the end on the ground. Quick and effective stabilizer.