Shooting 30p/60p in Europe

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by stratokaster, Jan 10, 2014.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Hello guys, I have a question. I want to buy a Panasonic camera in the US, but I will mainly use it in Europe. The US models don't have 25p and 50p video modes — only 30p and 60p.

Obviously, this is not a problem when shooting in the US, but in Europe the mains standard frequency is 50 Hz. Shooting 30p at the shutter speed of 1/60 and 60p at 1/120 will result in horrible flicker with artificial lights.

Owners of Olympus cameras also have the same problem, because all Olympus cameras, even European models, have only 30p and 60p video modes. (I guess this is another way of Olympus saying that they don't really care about video...)

I have read somewhere that shooting 30p at 1/50 or 60p at 1/100 eliminates the problem. Is that correct? I don't care about all that NTSC/PAL compliance stuff because my videos are intended for Web use only.

I could buy a PAL model, but: a) they are more expensive :) b) 60p is better for slow motion.

Thank you in advance. :wink:

2. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I accidentally posted this thread to the wrong sub-forum.

I ask moderators to kindly move it to the 'Filmmaking' sub-forum.

3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Indoors I shoot videos at 1/50 and then render it as 30 fps clips. Never had a problem with that one. I think it will also depend a lot on a video editing software you use. For example, Sony Vegas easily converts my 1/50 footage into 30fps clips.

See how the 1/50 video footage shot indoors at 30p looks converted into a 30fps clip:

This is a more static clip:
    [video=youtube;mZ0bz-ShYmI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0bz-ShYmI[/video]

This one has a lot of moving subjects:
    [video=youtube;hnSCH0y7bnU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnSCH0y7bnU[/video]

Of course I wish there was a native 25p mode, but I don't think there is that much of a difference. Guess this will be the same for Panasonic as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Those videos look great, thanks! And the boy is cute. Is this your son?

By the way, what kind of lighting do you use — fluorescent or incandescent?

5. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Thank you, that's my child. She is a girl though :smile:

I guess most places over here use incandescent lighting.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Oops. With toddlers it's sometimes difficult to tell.