Shooters Block

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Have you ever had a feeling that your kinda bored or lost with your photography? It's called shooters block. They named it after me cause I'm shooter but really because I found a real remedy.
If interested and serious, I will post the fix here.
It's not easy but works every time.

Shooter

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Amin,
This requires a serious commitment and that you really need a fix.

We start by going into a room in your home. It's a room you are comfortable in. You must be alone and have at least 1 hour to do this.

1. Go into the room and sit and be comfortable. No reading, no TV, no camera, no music...nothing, even if it's available.

Spend a minimum of 1 hour just sitting there. 90 min - 120 min is ideal but 60 will work.
The only stimulus for you is, whats in the room, your thoughts etc.
After a period of time, you will start to see photos that you want to make. Do not....just make them in your mind.

Look at the light, the shapes, tones, textures etc.......you get the idea.

Then leave the room....Do not use your camera or any recording device at all.

2. Day 2...Enter the room exactly as before but this time bring your camera in.....
Sit and relax as before....this time as you make photos in your mind, wait until the exact image appears in front of you and make a photo with the camera.

You can only make 1 exposure....make it a good one. Do not make exposures and delete the bad ones etc, no editing....just one, when you are sure you are seeing exactly what you want.....

Leave the room and process the image until it is exactly what you want/saw.
Put the camera away......

3. Day 3.. Repeat the above procedure for a minimum of 4 days, longer is better but some get this rather quick. There is no rush, only discipline.

If you do this for about a week, then you can expand to other areas of your living space....then outside then all over.....

I have many friends that will do this for about a month. Today, with digital cameras and processing, instant gratification is almost mandatory and also abused.
I developed this method many years ago and it was for film shooters. That worked well because the anticipation of seeing the image took longer....

Pay attention to yourself and this will get you out of the woods, unless you like it in there...
don

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Don, thanks for sharing your method, which I am going to try next time I have a block! I have a question though: In step 1, are the photos I visualize supposed to be photos made within the room in which I'm sitting, or am I visualizing photos made someplace else? Likewise, in step 2, do I understand correctly that the image should be made in the room?

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Amin,
Yes, the images should be of the room or in the room....

This method worked well with the Tyler Grads.......
We did 35 in 35.......35 images in 35 days....
Now some tell me, they still do this when they feel blocked......

There's more but this is the first steps.....

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Don,

do you have any examples you can post from the last session?

This sounds like an interesting approach... I've found that a good walk in the country will often be all it takes to get my juices going again, or new surroundings.

I will definitely give this a go the next time I'm feeling blocked.

Thanks

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks Don, I appreciate your taking the time to post this method and intend to try it next time I have a block. In fact, I think your post may prevent me from developing a block, out of fear of having to go through that difficult process :smile:.

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm gonna give this a go Don. I very often get underwhelmed by the photos I produce and have a hard time thinking that I have any vision at all! I KNOW that there are beautiful shots all around me waiting to be taken, but I struggle trying to 'see' them.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bull....
Any issues at all...send me an email and I'll walk ya thru it...

Maybe some day you can return the favor.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom