Shooter needs help with G1.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ok, I have the G1. I don't use it to often because I love the Pen1.
I just picked a Konica 40 1.8 and the adapter.
Whats the fastest bestest way to use manual focus?
any other tips greatly appreciated....
shooter

rst

Mu-43 Regular
When using a manual focus lens I usually use the EVF and most of the times not even the manual focus help. It was surprising for me how well you can manual focus with the EVF. So my fastest way is to turn the focus ring :wink:

Cheers
rst

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Same here. I only use the EVF magnification for precise focus on static objects. Most of the time, I leave it unmagnified at all default settings and find that it works very well just looking through the normal EVF view.

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's three of us..... I never use focus magnification.
The EV just seems to "pop" as focus is attained.

with my eyes there is just no way that I could use
one of those "pen" things...... :rofl:

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
That there is what I'm doing but...
just in case...tell me if this is right or wrong...
to actuivate mf assist...I hit the 4 way controller on the left button..then the center button..
that's working but it seems awkward....
praytell....

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
That's it, and yes it's one more button press than one would hope, but when you get used to it, it's not so bad. The main problem is that it forces you to lose the overview of the frame. It would be better if just the bit in the center became magnified, or if that were an option.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Amin, yes I agree. I have to take my eye away from the finder to hit the button.
But you guys are right, there's little need for the magnifier with the evf. Even in low light, with the 40mm 1.8...it's easy to get focus...

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Let me tell ya brother about shakey hands...
That evf mag scared the heck outta me...
All in all it ain't bad at all...

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
One tip to bear in mind, to activate MF assist zoom you need to press the left arrow and then OK to zoom into the green box.

You can do this in one action by rolling your thumb from left to right over the two buttons... It's surprisingly easy and worth practicing.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Brian....
I'm actually debating selling the G1 and getting a Pen 2. Only because I have the 1 and the IS....
but it's working nice....and your right, the Hex 40 is a nice piece of glass

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
What's the heaviest lens you use on your G1 Don? I find the grip shape is excellent for carrying a heavier lens... You can hold the camera quite securely by the grip.

I can really see the sense for many people in matching this camera to the Lumix 14-140... especially if they like a wide ranging walkabout zoom.

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Brian,
I use the 17 or the 14-45. I didn't want to start with my Leica glass...but did just get the Hex 40 as you know.
My problem with the camera is the finder....I use 2 eyes to make images..comes from the "M" days. With the EVF, it's like an SLR to me...
I'll get used to it but I'd really like to use adapted glass with the IS like the Pen...

It's funny tho...for events, I use the G1 and very few frames with the Pen...it's a great work pony...

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Don, do you ever use the G1's articulating display for street shooting, framing/focusing?

Cheers

Brian

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
My views

Now that the novelty has worn off, I now find that focusing with manual lenses is a pain.
Hopefully Panasonic will improve the two button action and the operation of the wheel, (for magnification), when they update the model.
It is too easy to press the wheel when you want to turn it.

On a tripod it is better - but not totally satisfactory

I wear glasses - so it is sometimes an on and off glasses situation

With "wider" MF lenses I just use scale focusing and do not bother looking at the LCD.
I have a few MF SLR longer lenses and hand held, using them is becoming an unpleasant experience.

Obviously the answer is to buy the dedicated Panasonic longer lenses, but I do consider Pany lenses to be expensive, particularly at the wider end where the crop factor pushes them into a range, outside the likes of say, the Sigma 10 20 and similar Tamron, (which retail at only £400)...........if you see what I mean.

(PS - I do get grumpy - sometimes)

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Brian,
Yes I use the screen like my Rollie's. For events's, it's indespensible.
I really haven't given the G1 a chance on the street but I am committed to a 30 day adjustment program....

Bill,
I also love just using AF lenses. Hopefully very soon we will have dedicated glass and then I can forget all this adapter stuff...
I, like you would like to see the price point lower than what we expect it to be...

Latest threads

Top Bottom