1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shoot with a friend, my G1 and 14-45mm kitlens

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by semma, Mar 1, 2011.

1. semma

semma Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    "You are stupid". "Loser". "For studio shoots you need a DSLR." "You fool."
    Comments I got all the way from so-called friends photographers, when I sold my dslr-gear and completely changed to mu-43-gear.
    They all laughed, and I was believing them, you never can make a good studio-shoot with mu-43. They even convinced me, so I rented a DSLR for my first 3 studio shoots this year.
    Till, till 2 weeks ago, a friend asked me to make a shoot and I told her I wanted to test my mu-43 gear for that shoot.
    As an amateur, I am not at all pro (and never have the intention to work as a pro or make pro shoots) I used my old G1 with standard kitlens 14-45mm.
    Here are the results.
    No, not like a swimsuit collection, I know, but for me and the model more then good enough, thanks to my G1 with kitlens.
    vero-109.
    vero-309.
    vero_018.
    vero-118.
    vero-303.
    vero-108.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Hi Semma,

Nice pictures, and nice friend,

In my studio i use mostly the E30, there is not a lot of quality difference between E30 and my EP2.
    Biggest difference is the use of the viewfinder.
    E30 i can use in almost dark studio with lens close to f16, with Ep2 this is very difficult.
    Screen is gaining up and dark.
    With E30 every shot is almost ok, with Ep2 you need more luck.
    Focus speed is ok with both cams.

So my opinion, we need a optical viewfinder for m43 also.Then it will be 100 % useable in studio.
    Fot the moment i also prefer the SLR.

grtz from Belgium,
    (by the way, English is not my main language)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    good job on giving the mu-43 some studio credit! nice work on the shoot.

my favourite shot must be number 1 - most natural and fun shot, even though she is smoking (no pun intended :p)

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I think I like the fourth shot best, but some really nice work there.

I don't know if you have Photoshop, but one of the standard tricks is to Gaussian blur skin to make it seem smoother. In particular, the black and white shot would benefit from this on the legs.

Also, I'd be inclined to either show less -- or none -- of tattoos. Seeing only a tiny hint is distracting. That's something you can do in post, but maybe an additional position showing more of the right arm would also be nice.

5. The G1 kit certainly does appear to give very professional looking results, however I would have ditched the cigarette for this type of shoot.

6. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Well the cigarette in that last shot has a Sharon Stone/Basic Instinct feel to it. I like it. Overall, very nicely done. And none to shabby for a kit lens either.