Shoot. I may have to shoot a "Prom" tomorrow

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TNcasual, May 12, 2017.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    So it appears that some photogs dropped out of the responsibility for a non-profit's "Prom" style event tomorrow. I may step in if I can figure out a good method.

This event is for an under-privileged group. This would be charity for me and provide something meaningful for the teens attending.

What I am considering is picking up a Fuji Instax printer (Best Buy says they have one available) and print packets. That way I could snap an image and print it fairly quickly. I know the prints aren't outstanding, but it could be a keepsake where otherwise there would be nothing.
    Also, the lower resolution prints could cover up my non-skill in portrait photography.

My questions:

Is this feasible?
    What lenses should I use?
    I really don't have anything in the way of lighting. And this will be a dark space. I have the E-M10's pop-up flash, and the little flash that comes with the E-M5. And I do not know how the venue is lit, put it will most likely be dark. Is it possible?

Yes, there will be costs incurred by me. That I am not so concerned about. I always thought having one of those printers could be neat.

I understand that "it's not worth it" is a valid answer. Is it worth the challenge, though?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'd say that anything that can help you grow as a photographer, and you also enjoy, is worth it.

I don't have experience with the fuji printers, but they've interested me for a while, so I'm curious to see how it works for you.

How you go about the shoot and what equipment you'll need are very situational. Whats the location like? How's the natural/existing light there? How much space will you have to work with? Will you be using flash, off camera lighting, modifiers, a backdrop, tethered? Do you want full body shots, 3/4, or torso portraits?

3. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    That's it. I don't have the resources to get all the equipment together to do an actual professional job of it. That is why the instax route came to mind. I would use the lower res technology's "vintage feel" to cover my lack of resources.

Light is the problem, though. I don't know the venue, but it is a dance, so it will be dark.

It just may be a challenge I can't meet.

4. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yeah, a dark room or dance hall is going to be very tricky. Do you have any type of flash that works with your current cameras? You could put up a piece of white foam board to use as a reflector and bounce it off of that. You could also do a DIY flood light diffused through a hung up white bed sheet. Basically, you're going to have to get creative if you want to pull it off and don't already own or have access to the gear.

5. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I have the tiny pop-up flash on my E-M10 and the accessory one that comes with the E-m5.

The idea of the sheet and floodlight sounds promising. I have a fixture for that. What type of bulb should I use?

6. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    As long as all the lights use the same bulb type, it should just be a matter of adjusting your white balance in camera... but they all need to be the same. You can also pick up some really big pieces of foam board to use as bounce reflectors, aka V-Flats, for really cheap from the hardware store. Which could also double as a backdrop depending on how much you have. Or just use another sheet as a backdrop.

There are several tutorials on using floodlights for portrait work, google it and pick which works best for you... just let us know how it works afterwards!

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Go all out, even if it cost you. I just shot my daughter's kindergarten 1st grade class for Mother's Day because I can't stand low quality cell phone shots which they were intending to use. I made sure every mom in my daughter's class gets the most memorable Mother's Day picture of their child!

If your daughter/son is attending this prom, make it a night for your child's whole senior class to remember! Good luck and just use everything at your disposal!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  8. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    That's a lovely thought ... brilliant.

9. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Maybe if you don't have the equipment to shoot in the dance hall, you can set up a photo station outside in a well lit area where you also can have your printer?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Lucky you got that Sigma 30/1.4! I would go with that and the 14-150II and carry the 60/2.8 (and maybe the 50/1.4 if you are shooting static portraits). If all you are doing are 4x6 then let the ISO go upto 6400.

BTW, I think that it is great that you are putting in your time and money for something like this. Kudos to you.

11. BosseBe

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Even better, if you set up a photo station outside the hall and take pictures of people as they arrive and can get someone to help you with printing the pictures they can be picked up during or after the dance. And you would be free to roam around the dance hall and take pictures during the dance.
    For a flash, surely you know someone who has one that you can borrow for a worthy cause?

12. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I do also have a borrowed 12-40 Pro.

I was thinking the Sigma 30 1.4 would be my best option.

Hmm....

13. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Then I would do the Sigma on one body and the 12-40 on the other. I think that you will still need to let the ISO go high, but the wider end will be useful for groups. Oh, and spot meter if you are shooting in the gym/dance hall where the event is being held. The one time I did something like, that helped a lot.

And consider @BosseBe@BosseBe's suggestion of a well-lit booth outside. They had something like that for my daughter's middle school graduation and the kids loved coming by in groups and having pictures taken.

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'd keep it simple. Get bright cheap construction lights from Home Depot so you don't have to fudge with flash/strobes if your experience is lacking, slap that borrowed 12-40 on the E-M5 and just shoot full lengths with that setup and/or full+half lengths. Put some gaffers tape on the ground to mark an X and have have a nice background setup if you can. Instead of an Instax printer, I'd just get the Instax camera so you don't have to bother with the print transfer which takes time (I have the printer and it's easy, but not good on the fly). Try to keep it as logistically simple and easy for you. You'll be doing a lot of shooting so the focus should be on that.

15. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Just the instax camera is an option. I was thinking about making an Instagram account for kids to get the images too. So having the digital file would be a plus.

16. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    If you know any local photographers, you can see about borrowing a speedlight or two and stands / umbrellas. (You could probably buy the kit for $150 or so on Amazon if you really wanted to.) You can trigger with optical slave mode, so you just need some kind of flash on really low power on your camera.

Look up how to use a gray card to set WB, and try to get the pictures solid straight out of camera. Then just post them somewhere (FB, instagram, flickr, etc.) and they can spend a buck or three to get them printed, even in larger format, if they really want to. (You can hand out a copyright release and location online if you want.)

And try to scout the site to see if there's an "entry" area, and if it has power, etc. (Would stink to plan on buying flood lamps from Home Depot and then not have a way to run them!)

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think Costco carries Instax print packs. Those are likely to be a significant cost, so it'll pay to shop around. Are you sure you can print to an Instax printer?

Cool challenge. I don't think you're going to be able to do anything fancy with the setup. I figure an off-camera flash with a diffuser/modifier, maybe a fast 25mm or 20mm lens with AF if you have one. I figure they'd want full-figure shots to show off their dresses/suits, and working space may be limited. Dunno if you'll be able to bounce your flash, so you may have to shoot it more or less direct.

18. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    @TNcasual@TNcasual At a recent event at my daughter's high school, the photog was using a Canon Selphy CP1200 for 4x6's. I was pretty impressed with the quality (better than a drug store print) and have been considering buying one. I have seen them for around $100 and I think that the cost/print is cheaper than the instax printer as well. Your E-M10 might be able to print to it wirelessly. Again something to think about.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  19. BosseBe

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Please, report back to us how this event turned out! I know You haven't done it yet, but I really hope you make it a success!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm still not sure I will do it.