1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shoot Color to be Black and White

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by BobBill, Sep 18, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    I really did not know where to post this question.

In past, I used Tri-X film to produce BW prints later.

I now have (slowly) moved to digital with the EP-2, which has a BW mode...

I understand it is easy to snap pics in this mode, but I miss the "pop" I searched for with the former processing...sooooo, 2 ?s.

1. Anyone shoot color and then P-shop with filters to achieve good ends?

2. Has anyone messed about with BW HDR effects?

If yes to the 2nd question, what are your end-goals when doing it and how do you get there?

Thanks - keep it simple, I am not that smart.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    There are a number of routes to B&W from color. Aperture (I presume Lightroom too) has presets that convert using a red, yellow, orange or blue filter. You can also tweak the channels manually to pretty good effect. Silver Efex Pro2 is a great way to convert to B&W. You can also just desaturate - but that doesn't give you much control. Play around!

3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    If you are using Lightroom or PS, there are some nice presets out in the market. X-Equals being one

4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    As stated above, Silver Efex 2 is great for black and white, they even have Kodak tri-x presets along with a other popular b&w film. You are right to shoot in color first, even more so if it's in RAW. In my signature there is a link to my little photo blog with mostly b&w photos that are edited with Silver Efex and Aperture.

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You are probably better off shooting in Color and/or Raw and converting to B&W in post. You'll have more control of the process and you'll still have a color file to boot. If you 'insist' on in-camera processing and feel your images lack "pop" I suggest you throttle-up your in-camera/JPEG contrast and that should cover your "pop" issue.

Gary

6. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson

Thanks...and to all for the help...will give Silver Efex a serious look. I have been messing with old PS 6 for years and was messing with this and that and never quite got what I wanted.

Aside to Dylandingo, you knew Paul P? I see you are from La Crosse...me Winona...I used to hang with Paul when he had Winona store and when he expanded, gradually lost touch, and did most business with Bob at Moen.

Very odd...who would try to rob a camera store and do what they did? Makes one wonder.

7. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Gary, Sorry was not clear. I really do not use in camera BW mode. Never thought much of it. As before with film, when the negative was a bit flat, would scan and PS it to give it some pizaz.

Was wondering if some others did same. I began using green after desat and it was close...

8. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Definitely give Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 a try. I have just started using it, and even though my first attempts are a little full on, the software is amazing and intuitive. It provides the user with far more control than LR or Photoshop, with significantly less time needed.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm not sure if you're asking specifically about doing this in Photoshop or just in general?

Assuming you meant in general, then I use the Nik Software suite of plugins with LightRoom. That's Silver Efex for B&W processing and HDR Efex for the HDR (auto-aligns and merges). Basically the way it works is you adjust the source file(s) first if desired, then export or do an external edit of the adjusted copy in the Nik software app. When you're done, you click save, and it imports the modified image back into Lightroom, next to the original.

The monochrome HDR effects in HDR Efex are some of my favorites and I've gotten some shots I really like using them. If it helps, here are some examples. All handheld 5 shot HDR processed in HDR Efex starting from the Monochrome preset.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/7786013254/" title="Polar Confusion by jloden, on Flickr"> 7786013254_fa12aec744_c. "800" height="602" alt="Polar Confusion"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/7861283314/" title="Seward Harbor by jloden, on Flickr"> 7861283314_faa667bf07_c. "800" height="600" alt="Seward Harbor"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/7891905320/" title="Golden Grounds by jloden, on Flickr"> 7891905320_9e48d7d508_c. "800" height="601" alt="Golden Grounds"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30940068@N02/7861272818/" title="Mt. McKinley (B&amp;W) by jloden, on Flickr"> 7861272818_f3319059b7_c. "800" height="608" alt="Mt. McKinley (B&amp;W)"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Silver Efex Pro2

I shoot all my images in Raw so get the full set of details even if I know I will want a B&W result - RAW gives you the optimum quality and captures all details, the only digital camera currently capable of capturing full size B&W RAW images is the new Leica M Digital.

I use Silver Efex Pro2 for all my B&W conversions as for my use it is the best software available and gives me the result I want.

Couple of B&W images below from RAW originals converted in Silver Efex Pro

[​IMG]

On_the_horizon.

• Like Like x 4
  11. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Dig it...two different processes...Nice work, BTW. What am looking to duplicate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    In case it wasn't clear from my post - these were all shot RAW (in color) then processing using HDR Efex and Lightroom only. The B&W conversion there is part of the preset in HDR Efex.

I also use Silver Efex separately, when processing a single RAW photo into B&W as in Iansky's post - for which it works beautifully :2thumbs:

13. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Thanks. Question, what would be in RAW that would not be in RAW/jpeg?

Have you shot pics (assuming you do in color) using various filters, including polarizer, then going HDR...?

Wonderful pics, BTW. Impressive. Am envious of your expertise.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I also use Silver Efex Pro 2 for black and white. I think it's well worth the price.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7998531242/" title="MurciƩlago by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7998531242_a4d7083886_b. "1024" height="680" alt="MurciƩlago"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7868512938/" title="Froggy by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7868512938_49a9cbf53d_b. "1024" height="769" alt="Froggy"></a>

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Raw
    Aperture RAW Conversion
    Photoshop Polish

GRA20084-L.

P7030131a-XL.

P7200061.

1010210-XL.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Oh wow, crazy to see a somewhat local in these forums where so many people are from all around the globe.

I didn't really know Paul too well but I have gone in there a lot and I have talked to him. As far as I've read I haven't even seen it mentioned that it was even a robbery, although I don't see any other reason for that. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard what happened because I was about a block away at 3 rivers outdoors around the time they think it happened.

As far as Bob Moen's, I did most of my business there too. Bob was awesome for advice and even let me take home a nice 400+ dollar lens(Canon 100mm f/2.8) with just 200 dollars down and a promise I'd have the rest within the month(this was the 2nd time only I was in his shop too!) It's a shame when that shop went out of business, I don't even know why it happened.

Back to the subject, I don't think you'll regret getting Silver Efex Pro. I manage my RAW photos in Aperture(or lightroom if you're not a mac user) but after applying some minor sharping Silver Efex is almost my main editing program. If you go to Nik software's site they even have a free 15 day trial so there isn't even a risk giving it a try.

17. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    jloden,Iansky,Dixeyk,Gary,
    I have to say those shots are really inspirational,wonderful.That does it.I'm buying the nix suite.

• Like Like x 1
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One product...

Nik Software Silver Efex pro

<< B&W film guy who lost interest when I went digital.... it renewed my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Yep, whole thing is odd.

Bob at Moen's ran into health problems...his daughter or daughter in law took over for a time and he came back but ended up closing. I did not find out until one day I went in to buy some chemicals and shop was shuttered. Never knew what happened to Bob or contents of store...likely sold at auction or something. Maybe digital tide was too much.

I loved Bob and his shop. Sort of the old way. Some of area's heavy-duty photogs used to hang in there...I was too shy to get involved...

You all have me convinced, when I get computer back from Geeks, it crashed, will be off with that software and HDR BW...also all the pics you fine boyos have offered as examples will serve as goals for me to emulated.

Appreciate that.

Another question...what would be value of bracketing with ISO? Seems end result same...? I just noticed the EP-2 will bracket a number of ways...

Amazing what digital opens up for typical shooter that once required dark work and lots of time...

BTW, even though I check off instant email notification, it does not happen, so pardon my late returns...it may be better when new desktop is in place.

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Space saving

Thanks for the nice comments.

the reason I only shoot Raw rather than RAW/Jpeg is so that I can get the best from the Raw and then save a JPEG version for posting as I do on this site, it also saves me space on the card.

As good as many of todays cameras are with Jpeg output, I still use the Raw file to capture the best of highlight/shadow areas and you can pull more back from Raw shadows than Jpeg so see no point for my use.