Shocking info from Lady Gaga lawsuit

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DeeJayK, Jul 12, 2013.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I happened upon a story which is only tangentially photography related about a lawsuit between Lady Gaga and a former personal assistant (hat tip to PetaPixel). The lawsuit itself is not particularly interesting to me, but the thing that grabbed my attention is the fact that the photographer for Gaga's 2011 tour is being compelled to turn over his images. The court order in itself isn't all that interesting to me, but what shocked me was the number of images that are involved: 142,000 photographs?!?! That is some serious volume shooting!

As I continued reading the article, I learn that the photographer, Terry Richardson, apparently made $58 million in the past year. I had no idea that fashion photography could be anywhere close to that rewarding. If he worked 250 days in that year, that equates to a day rate of nearly a quarter million dollars. That's just insane to me. Can that figure be anywhere close to accurate?

UPDATE: the $58 million figure appears to have [post=487163]been debunked[/post] (thanks, Kevin).

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    That's an incredible number of pics and an unbelievable amount of money - wow! :eek:

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  4. bmorena

bmorena Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Terry is more of a rock star than a photographer but that's quite a year for a guy who got to where he is by being super eccentric and using film Point and shoots

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks, Kevin. I sort of assumed there must be something amiss with that figure. Another example of the fine journalistic values that I suppose one should expect from a gossip column from a tabloid newspaper.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I didn't realize he was known for shooting film. That 142k images would equate to nearly 4,000 36-image rolls. :wink:

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Or 16 rolls a day (250 working days).

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That $58M tops my best year as a pro photog.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't forget Richardson is a GF1 shooter! :wink:

10. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    But just barely, right?? :smile:

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ... I'm sure he's including tips.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeah, but you still had two big advantages...

1. You got free film!

2. You didn't have to listen to Lady Gaga "sing"...

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim