Shirakawa-go, Japan in December.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by pydoublee, Jan 10, 2013.

1. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Hello all,

I just returned from a 2 week trip in Asia, and I was fortunate enough to spend a week in Japan. This was my second time in Japan, so I decided to visit less touristy places instead. I went to Shirakawa-go, a small village about 5 hours west of Tokyo via bus. Even though it was snowing and cold, the view there was absolutely amazing. I would love to go back in the summer time to take pictures of the vibrant scenery.

- Pete

Scenic view of Shirakawa-go:
    f/7.1 @ 19 mm, 1/400, ISO 200

A beautiful river surrounding the entrance:
    f/7.1 @ 21 mm, 1/500, ISO 200

f/9 @ 20 mm, 1/640, ISO 200

A typical home in the village:
    f/8 @ 24 mm, 1/500, ISO 200

Hida village near Takayama, Japan:
    f/10 @ 17 mm, 5s, ISO 200
    • Like Like x 34
  2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Stunning.Thanks for posting these.
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Great shots.
    The last one is very impressive.
  4. webmonkey8

webmonkey8 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2012
    Great photos!
    Which micro43 camera and lens did you use for these shots? I especially like the "A typical home in the village" photo. Was there a certain filter or 'Scene' setting used to get those colors?
  5. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Brilliant! Love 3 and 5 the most. I work for a Japanese and have been there 6-8 times but never seem to get away fomr the site, really should make some time!
  6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Awesome shots..super jealous. Is it an easy place to visit for tourists?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  7. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    that last shot is superb! i will definitely visit japan one of these days...
  8. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your compliments!

I use a OMD-EM5 with a 12-35mm f2.8 lens, the weatherproof combo really helped in this case since it was snowing a bit. I shot everything in RAW and I'm using the trial versions of Color EFex/Silver EFex by Nik software to post process these shots.

Yes, I took a 5 hour bus ride from Shinjuku Station, Tokyo to Takayama. Then I booked a tour for Shirakawa-go at my hostel (or you can just buy a bus ticket and go at your own pace). I also tried an onsen (hot spring bath) for the first time. It was really cool to sit in a hot bath with snow surrounding the hot spring.

Bus info: Hida Takayama Nohi Bus
    Hostel info (The owner, Aki, is great. He took my friends and I for a day tour with his personal car. The place is also very friendly and clean.): J-Hopper Takayama
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Whoa, those are great.
    The first snowy village is cute, and the last picture is awesome. Love the processing.
  10. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    1st and last are awesome! I wish I could take photos like you!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    What a great set! You really captured the peaceful nature of the place.
  12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    some awesome shots man!. congrats!. now print them and hang em in the wall. they deserve to be printed!
  13. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Joining the chorus of praise for these, especially the final shot. :clapping:
  14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Beautiful photos! We visited Takayama once a few years ago but that was when I just had an old p&s camera. We're hoping to go back to Japan sometime in the next year.
  15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    These are great photos - I love winter and snow! :thumbup:
  16. faisalj

faisalj Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic pictures. :)
    Love the last photo.
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I like the set! I was also in takayama a few years ago, also visited the hida village. If you get a chance, I found the nikko/yumoto region very scenic and a nice place to visit.
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Stunningly beautiful shots! I love the first, third, and, especially, the last one!

I was in Fukuoka in Christmas, took thousands of photos, but nothing close to these! I plan on going back there again in Spring to catch the cherry blossom season!
  19. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Once again, thank you everyone for the complements. :smile:

I just looked it up and it looks like a very nice place to visit and photograph. I'll be sure to add it to my itinerary next time. Thank you very much! :thumbup: