Shipping USPS priority

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by abl33, Dec 29, 2012.

1. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    just an FYI for everybody - I just went to the USPS to mail a camera complete with battery, etc. Following the suggestions on the buy/sell forum, I wanted to send it by priority mail. Unfortunately, they politely informed me that you can no longer send lithium batteries by priority mail because they rent space in commercial planes.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    A member here, just shipped one to me this morning. I guess they don't always ask.
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I buy pre-paid labels thru paypal, so it hasn't come up for me.
  5. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, guys. That's very disappointing that they were misinformed - but now I know for next time!
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You're not allowed to send LI batteries in bulk, but one or two I don't believe is an issue. Just make sure they're packaged so that the terminals can't short out.

BTW, if you have a way to weigh the package, you can pre-pay and print a shipping label for Priority Mail at the USPS web site, and get a discount off the price you pay at the post office. And you can have the letter carrier pick the package up at your house for no extra cost.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    The original "batteries not included" ? :biggrin:

Thanks for this thread, learned some stuff.

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I never knew a thing about it. I've bought and sold a lot of cameras since the digital revolution, and many of them traveled USPS Priority Mail. In fact it's the only way I ship when I sell on Ebay.

When I was flying to Thailand last year the rules were that batteries had to be on you or your carry-on bags and could not be in your checked baggage, but that was any kind of battery.

All my shipping of cameras has been domestic, maybe that's the reason. If I broke any rules I was blissfully oblivious to the fact.