1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shipping USPS priority

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by abl33, Dec 29, 2012.

1. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    just an FYI for everybody - I just went to the USPS to mail a camera complete with battery, etc. Following the suggestions on the buy/sell forum, I wanted to send it by priority mail. Unfortunately, they politely informed me that you can no longer send lithium batteries by priority mail because they rent space in commercial planes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    A member here, just shipped one to me this morning. I guess they don't always ask.

3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I buy pre-paid labels thru paypal, so it hasn't come up for me.

5. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Thanks for the replies, guys. That's very disappointing that they were misinformed - but now I know for next time!

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You're not allowed to send LI batteries in bulk, but one or two I don't believe is an issue. Just make sure they're packaged so that the terminals can't short out.

BTW, if you have a way to weigh the package, you can pre-pay and print a shipping label for Priority Mail at the USPS web site, and get a discount off the price you pay at the post office. And you can have the letter carrier pick the package up at your house for no extra cost.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The original "batteries not included" ? :biggrin:

Thanks for this thread, learned some stuff.

Regards,

Jim

8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I never knew a thing about it. I've bought and sold a lot of cameras since the digital revolution, and many of them traveled USPS Priority Mail. In fact it's the only way I ship when I sell on Ebay.

When I was flying to Thailand last year the rules were that batteries had to be on you or your carry-on bags and could not be in your checked baggage, but that was any kind of battery.

All my shipping of cameras has been domestic, maybe that's the reason. If I broke any rules I was blissfully oblivious to the fact.