Shipping charges...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd been eyeing an optec wrist strap from B&H for a while now. Its only like 8 bucks, but shipping was almost 7. So I hesitated to order. Then I realized I would like a nicer shoulder strap for my carry case for the Pen, and decided I liked one of the Tamrac shoulder straps.

So, I decided to go and order. I went through our affiliate link, and added the shoulder strap, a Giottos rocket blower, and a micro fiber. I hit the order.

As soon as I hit the order, I realized I didn't put on the wrist strap. The whole point was not to spend 7 bucks for shiping for a small inexpensive item, since the above 3 items cost just 7 bucks to ship.

Luckily I was able to call them and add the wrist strap to the order with no additional shipping costs.

It just amazes me how much shipping is for small things(most companies are guilty of this).

Dj

2. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    have (another) drink - they are all out to trick us

3. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    It's not just shipping though is it. Someone's got to find and pack the items, plus the costs of packing materials. And the overheads of running the web ordering system, the warehouse etc. But yes, some places are more than others!

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm still at work. A few more hours, then I can drink, LOL.

5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I'll have one with you - were are you

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    But isn't that why the mark up is there, to make profit!?

When I was in the paint business, we used to order wallpaper for customers. It usually shipped UPS. We had a flat shipping rate for rolls ordered. So, 1-3 rolls were 6 dollars, 3-6 rolls 10..you get the point.

Sometimes, we actually lost money off of shipping, but not much. 9 times out of 10, we charged the customer about 15-20 percent over what UPS was charging us.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Huntsville, AL.

I wonder if I have anymore Sam Adams Double Bock at the house.

:drinks:

Dj

8. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    That's a bit far - I'm in Hampshire ............ the old one in the UK

I'm with you in "spirit"

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA