1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Shift of colours, showing gradual decay

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Malo1961, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting series here. I'd be interested to know how you achieved this image.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It's very simple. I collected 5 leafs from a tree each in a different stage of decay. They are NOT the same leaf :wink:
    Each leaf was placed on a small light box and then photographed from above.

After processing each picture in B5Pro I opened GIMP and created a blank layer.5 times the width of the canvas. Copy/pasted each leaf picture in and changed blend-mode to soft light. This made the background even white. After flattening the layers I scaled the picture back to a manageable file size.

BTW.....After some good C&C from a small photographic community of 10 photographers (I participate on) I have decided to skip the last two leafs on the right, and keep it at 3 leafs. The shape suggests they are the same leaf at 3 different stages. It still shows gradual decay, but more subtle. Thanks for your interest.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Interesting shot!!!

You removed the background during post processing?
    - I am curious what it would have looked like with some smart/neutral background instead of the harsh non-natural white

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well.....The background of each individual picture was already white. But due to subtle changes is the light (no studio environment) I was forced to " help" a bit in PP, to gain a even white background.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Martin, that process may seem simple to you but to me it certainly isn't.:wink: Thanks for sharing the background with us. :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.