1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shift of colours, showing gradual decay

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Malo1961, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting series here. I'd be interested to know how you achieved this image.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It's very simple. I collected 5 leafs from a tree each in a different stage of decay. They are NOT the same leaf :wink:
    Each leaf was placed on a small light box and then photographed from above.

After processing each picture in B5Pro I opened GIMP and created a blank layer.5 times the width of the canvas. Copy/pasted each leaf picture in and changed blend-mode to soft light. This made the background even white. After flattening the layers I scaled the picture back to a manageable file size.

BTW.....After some good C&C from a small photographic community of 10 photographers (I participate on) I have decided to skip the last two leafs on the right, and keep it at 3 leafs. The shape suggests they are the same leaf at 3 different stages. It still shows gradual decay, but more subtle. Thanks for your interest.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Interesting shot!!!

You removed the background during post processing?
    - I am curious what it would have looked like with some smart/neutral background instead of the harsh non-natural white

• Like Like x 1
  5. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Well.....The background of each individual picture was already white. But due to subtle changes is the light (no studio environment) I was forced to " help" a bit in PP, to gain a even white background.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Martin, that process may seem simple to you but to me it certainly isn't.:wink: Thanks for sharing the background with us. :thumbup: