Shift lens for m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by OzRay, Mar 25, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    For all those who bemoan that there is no tilt/shift lens for m4/3, at least now you can get a shift lens to use with your favourite adapted lens: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150323_694033.html.

Never mind the manual focusing, as with a tilt/shit lens you would have always been manual focusing anyway, and with small sensors (including FF) a shift lens is probably the only practical option.

Buy up big, you know you want one. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I've not seen the Kipon version before, but there have been other shift adapters on e-bay for ages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a big fan of Canon tilt-shift lenses on full-frame and wish for a m43rds version one day; preferably a 45mm (90mm equivalent). I use tilt more often than shift, so I'm hoping Kipon (or someone) makes a shift version, if that's possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    There are simple shift mounts available (I've got a Fotga Nikon one - not the smoothest movement but it works).

Tilt wise to be really useful you're going to want a fairly wide adapted lens to be reasonably useful - I suppose there are okay priced 20mm manual lenses that are reasonably good optically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Here ya go, tilt and shift adaptors

Tilt and shift

or a video if you are into that sort of thing

The shift would be the interesting one to have.

Been around awhile for sure. MF, well that simply rocks and AF you wouldn't need anyway. You could also go Canon FD with a simple adaptor as well if needed. Heck we use FD to m4/3 adaptors all the time and Nikkor, Pentax, etc, anyway.

All the best.

Danny.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Is there actually a cheap shift lens adapter? I've only seen the tilt ones. The Kipon seems to be one of the few options for shifting, and that's $170 CDN or so, if I recall right.

Because of the costs involved, I ended up making myself a DIY 3d-printed adapter with tilt and shift. If I only wanted one or the other it would be much easier, to be honest. I might try making a more robust shift adapter, since the tilt on a 20mm lens is frankly pretty worthless. Then again, shift seems so much less important these days with easy digital keystoning correction. In order for a tilt/shift lens to work well, your original lens needs to handle aberrations induced by tilting and shifting really well...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I don't own one and I understand there are some technical differences, but isn't the effect the same as you can get with a Lensbaby?

8. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Lensbabys are tilt only, no shift. They're also longer focal length to exaggerate the effect. Good for effects, not so much for precise architectural photography

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Sorry my shift is Kipon: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Kipo...0068&clkid=5014651747451148496&_qi=RTM1793693

My tilt is Fotga: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOTGA-Til...629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cee29e475

• Like Like x 1
  10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    The normal lensbaby optics are also deliberately poor quality, so the combination gives a 'sweet spot' with considerable distortion elsewhere in the image. Tilt Shift was originally used to minimise distortions rather than create them.

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Down with tilting! I'm sneering at cheap effects!

The model village focus from tilting is quite popular. But it's a tired old gimmick with very limited use. Don't do it! It's as bad as OTT HDR all the time. I don't mind the original idea, of aligning the focus plane to your subject. But buying a lens just for tilting is as bad as buying one of those gimmick effect filters like rainbow starburst or kaleidoscope prism filter.

Now correcting verticals with shift on the other hand seems to make a lot of sense. Even though we can do it in software afterwards.

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    It seems like in general, unless you are using a format with extreme small DoF (such that you must tilt to align the plane of focus), or have extreme resolution requirements (such that you must correct distortions in camera rather than with software), it does seem like tilt-shift lenses are a tiny niche that is growing tinier unless you want it to produce a goofy effect.

I'd say T/S lenses just aren't required anymore to produce exceptional image quality - or at least, aren't worth the price of an A7R and a wide angle lens to go with it (as the Canon 17mm TS/E currently runs for...)

13. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I've used the shift adapter once and it's gathering dust.

The tilt adapter I bought for macro work - that's probably their best use (not that I mind the odd 'model village' type shot - sorry folks I'm happy to admit I may have dubious taste :sorry:).

• Like Like x 1
  14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Tilt/shift benefits are really only at home in large format photography (to a much lesser extent with medium format) where you can tilt/shift both the front and back of the camera ie film and lens. It's something used in architectural as well as studio work to enhance depth of field as well as correct for distortion. I really don't understand why anyone would want a tilt/shift lens or capability for FF, let alone m4/3/APS-C. That's why, in reality, these hardly sell at all where available for FF, as Olympus research discovered. I wonder how many people even understand the operational concept behind tilt/shift?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The only time I've used tilt/shift capability is with a view camera; it's what they're for, really. Smaller format cameras don't let you make effective use of the capabilities found with an articulated plus shifting lens board and articulated film plane.
    It would be fun to have a Linhof 679cs with digital back. It would be nice to pay off my mortgage, too...

16. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    All I know is that if I tilted and shifted, I would fall over...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
  18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Curiousity is piqued. What are we looking at, Mike?

19. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm

How many links would you like.

I think there is more than one or two out there that know how to use them and what for. Its a bit like ....... because I don't need a 5:1 macro lens or an 800mm F/5.6, nobody else does either. Yeah right :) Assume nothing when it comes to photography.

All the best.

Danny.

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith