Shhhhhh, any Jupiter people out there?

Charles2

Mu-43 Regular
Problem is where the seller is (or where I, buyer, am!)

Considered Jupiters when searching eBay for Yashica / Contax lenses, but was reluctant to buy from Ukrainian and Russian sellers for shipment to United States.

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the Jupiter 61 50mm f2.8. Mostly used it with my FED 2 though…

I like the build, even though I allways try to focus with the aperture ring, which is in the front of the lens.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I must get an adapter - I've got a Jupiter 11a (135mm f4 with 12 aperture blades) in the loft!

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i have a russian? 50 f2 no click stops ...very tiny and a pleasant little lens in chrome

its my smallest fast lens and just ok open , but has a nice rendition

i think its a jupiter but the letters are cyrillic

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Cosina, is there a number next to the letters?
It's probably a Jupiter, very common but much better than the price ya pay for them.
I got my 1st one in Nam after I dropped my M4 and 50 Cron in a rice paddy. A pro shooter cleaned my camera but the lens was shot, he gave me the Jupiter 8 to use and I never got it back to him. I always hated it on film but on the Pens...it's magical.....
I prefer it to the Cron because it doesn't have the snap of the Leica glass but it renders beautifully.....

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
1956 KMZ J-3 (5cm F1.5) on the Leica M8, modified for close-focus to 0.8m.

Wide-Open at F1.5.

picture.php
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

picture.php

This lens is on the M8 more than any other lens I have.

But don't worry- I have a couple for the EP2.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's a faithful version of the German Sonnar.

picture.php

Which I also have-

Uncoated 1937 CZJ Sonnar 5cm F1.5, modified to Leica mount using a J-3 focus mount.

The EP2 just arrived, and I have a Leica M-Mount adapter on the way. I have Four J-3's in Leica Mount, and Four German Sonnars in Leica Mount, two of those I adapted.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
There's something about the way the lens renders light that just blows me away.
You'll love it on the Pen.....it's like a small M8...sorry but more enjoyable.....

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
Cosina, is there a number next to the letters?
It's probably a Jupiter, very common but much better than the price ya pay for them.
I got my 1st one in Nam after I dropped my M4 and 50 Cron in a rice paddy. A pro shooter cleaned my camera but the lens was shot, he gave me the Jupiter 8 to use and I never got it back to him. I always hated it on film but on the Pens...it's magical.....
I prefer it to the Cron because it doesn't have the snap of the Leica glass but it renders beautifully.....

heres a pic

P10809681.jpg

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Yessir, That there is a classic Jupiter 8 50mm f2.
The 1st 2 digits of the serial # are the year of production...
all this verified by my Russian Wife. She knows all and tells me all the time...

You have a real gem there my friend....

This starts a madhouse for me. I got the Pen1 on release last July and refused to use any adapted glass on it. Well, I needed a real tele for a portrait so I got a LTM adapter....big mistake.........all the old glass is calling......

Shooter....shooter....let's go out and play.....

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Chrome J-8 shown will focus "ever-so-slightly" closer than the other versions. It probably came with an earlier Zorki 4.

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
thanks shooter and charles for the info

my lens is engraved : No 6061997

which i gather was made in 1960 ......... that cool to know, and adds a little history to this charming and tiny lens.

women are from venus.. men are from mars..... and apparently my lens is from jupiter!

adi10times

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael Adi P.
Hi
Anyone uses Kiev/Contax mount lens on m4/3?
I have Jupiter-8 and Helios-103 for Kiev rangefinder. They're pretty good wide open using film. I couldn't find the adapter on Ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are adapters, they are not cheap. I believe Amedeo will make one. Some allow use of the external mount lenses, you need one that has a helical built into it for the internal mount lenses.

I use an M-Mount to u4/3, then the Contax to M-Mount for mine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom