She's Back

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by demiro, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I didn't realize Amin was restoring my original post when I put this one up....(maybe I should stick to gear talk)

I got the green light from Amin to re-post this. Apologies if anyone was offended.

E-PM1 + 45/1.8. B&W conversion and processing in Picasa.

Images deleted.

Here is the original shot, from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which explains why it is OK to re-post:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!! (I guess back nudity is okay ... what's the TOS on frontal nudity?)

PS- Still laughing

PPS- That Amin is sure a liberal son-of-a-gun.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Granite nudity is apparently okay - although one could argue that it's pretty "hard-core"... ;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. msk

msk Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Mike Kehle
    I don't see the big deal on g&n posts. POTN has a glamour/nude section that is locked until you reach a certain post count. There are some very nice shots in there.
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to break the G&N barrier. I figured a statue was OK, and did a little PP to be funny.
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought that butt looked kinda odd!
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I don't see anything here, either. :confused:
  8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Botero Nude / Time Warner Center, NYC

Guess I need to read the "rules" as they pertain to "nudity", etc. Frankly I'm a bit put-off by the notion that a PHOTOGRAPHY enthusiast site has an issue with tasteful photographs of the human form. This is a topic that I've had an issue with since my days studying fine art & photography (the university I attended tore out "offensive" images from our text books prior to our purchasing them!). If you think about it, nudes have been an integral part of fine art and photography forever. The human form is a thing of beauty and has inspired "art" in all forms from car design, industrial design, fine art, architecture, etc. :dash2:

The fact that someone here was offended by photographs of a statue is absolutely amazing to me. Wow, REALLY? One can find "nude" statues in just about any major city. Just go to a park or a museum (or a mall -- as in the case of the attached Botero statue photo). Should they be removed because someone is offended?!? :eek:

All of that said, I'm not trying to force my feelings down anyone's throat, but if one is offended by something, DON'T look at it! IT's that simple. If one wants to leave the forum community, well okay, so be it I guess.

Sorry for the rant... Honestly and sincerely hope the attached image is cool with everyone... :biggrin:

<a href=";current=WesBender_BotteroTW-center_43.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As the founder and owner of this site, I have nothing against nudity - tasteful, artistic, or otherwise. I think it's great that Pekka and his staff chose to offer such a section. In the beginning of this site, I thought about it, discussed it with the folks who helped me to start the site, discussed it with my wife, and decided it wasn't for me for a couple reasons: 1) Owning/running a site with nude photos can be more work than owning a site without them. 2) My wife, family, friends, colleagues, and others who know me via work might not feel comfortable with my running a site where nude photographs are on display.

The good thing is that there are thousands of photography enthusiast sites out there. This is just one of them and a relatively small one at that. It is nothing like your university textbook with pages ripped out. Choosing to spend time on this site and then griping the rules is like if your university had given you a choice of a thousand textbooks, and you had intentionally chosen the one with the pages ripped out. The rule about nudity hasn't changed since this site consisted of me and about 5 other people chatting and sharing pictures.

Which of these makes more sense to you:

1) It was my duty when starting this site to provide a place for you to post and/or enjoy tasteful nudes.

2) It was up to me to start the kind of site I want to make, and it is up to you to decide whether to spend your time here.

The photo being discussed looked real. It was a black and white crop of the buttocks of a lifelike statue, and for all purposes was indistinguishable from the rear end of a live person. That was the point of presenting it that way. Once I found out it was a statue, I restored the deleted thread. One of our members didn't like it and made it clear that a site where that was shown was not for him. Dean could have left his post intact, and that offended member could have moved on. None of us mods forced Dean's hand or tried to convince the offended member to stay. Perhaps that member has moved on. Either way, I applaud Dean's thoughtfulness that the value of his funny shot was possibly outweighed by the effect it had on a great member who has enjoyed and contributed to this site for a long while now.
    • Like Like x 9
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.