1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sharpness issues with Rokinon 7.5…Solved.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Feb 7, 2016.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Got one because I wanted to. Mounted on my E-PL5, since I bought an E-M5 recently. I figured I would just leave that as the dedicated Fish-Eye/Super wide camera, and use the E-M5 for everything else.

I was very unhappy with my results, everything just looked soft. I did the thing with the rear element to get correct focus, but still my shots looked, well, fuzzy.

Just for S&G I put the lens on my E-M5 and there was a big, big difference in quality. Not perfect, but actually acceptable. Same settings, except I forgot to set the IBIS for 8mm.

Hmmm…

Put the lens back on the E-PL5, shut off IBIS and Holy Crap!! The lens is sharp as the proverbial tack. It looks like the IBIS was confused, even set for 8mm.

Listen, with a 7.5mm lens, I don't need IBIS, so there it is.

I'm happy once again.

P.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Thanks for the post. I don't have that lens but I do have a Peleng 8mm fisheye as well as the 9mm body cap lens, so next time I am using either, I will have to pay closer attention to how I am using the IBIS and see if turning it off improves anything. Fisheye photos can be a bit difficult to judge if they are sharp or in focus on the back LCD. Usually it isn't until later, at home, on the computer, that you see they aren't as good as you thought and now too late for a reshoot.

3. Haven't seen any results with mine that I found unacceptable...so maybe things can get even better? Certainly worth trying next time out with it. Wonder what shutter speed/aperture settings you used. I generally zone focus at about 4' and use f4.0 to 5.6 and no larger numerically.

4. I just gave that a try with my 7.5...couldn't really tell any difference between IS on or off with handheld at f5.6..1/160..ISO 200. One thing in setup I noticed when first getting this camera was the Antishock setting..which should be on Zero. Out of the box setting was something else and early shooting was somewhat disappointing till I asked...made a noticeable difference in overall sharpness. Maybe there's a difference between the two cameras. Just sayin'...

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a manual lens that doesn't report its focal length to the camera for IBIS. The default manual setting is probably for something like 50mm, way off. You'll have to set it manually to 8mm (close enough) through the IS selection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cephotography

cephotography Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2016
    None of the lenses you mentioned have electronic contacts to identify themselves to the camera. Setting the focal length manually should have taken care of it, but who knows. You may have discovered a flaw in the firmware for IBIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Absolutely set focal length to 8mm. Results with IBIS off night-and-day different to IBIS on. Might by my camera. Who knows? Just giving a heads-up.

8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah I use this lens with IBIS set to 8mm as well and it works exceptionally well. It's the only MF lens I use so I don't have to worry about changing either, just set it once and forget it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Interesting. I tried two copies on an E-M5 body. I'm pretty certain I set IBIS to 8mm but I couldn't get a sharp image with either copy. I didn't think to try to turn IBIS off.

10. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I use it with focal length set to 8 mm, and on my E-M10 no problem with sharpness when IBIS is on.

11. dannsing

dannsing Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2014
    California
    Great tip on the 8mm adjustment. Thanks - had no idea that should be adjusted - will have to try it with my Rokinon FE.

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    You mentioned it was blurry on your PL5. That camera has the same 2-axis stabilization as the PM2, which was completely useless to get sharp photos. I would imagine if you used the EM5 you would get nice sharp photos even with the IBIS on.

• Agree Agree x 1