Sharpest f stops on 20mm?

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
Just curious, I know some lenses have 'sweet spots', so I was wondering what f stops are particularly sharp on the 20mm f1.7.
Thanks.
:redface:

Jonas B

I would say the lens is sharp enough from f/1.7-f/5.6. Maybe the sweet spot is around f/3.5 but then you are chasing that little extra which in this case is such a small extra that it doesn't matter. For real good center sharpness stick between f/2 and f/5.6.

Or, go play with the lens test widget at DPR here.

my cents,

/Jonas

vincechu

Mu-43 Regular
I tend to use it roughly arround f/3 where it seems sharpest to me but wide opens pretty sharp too - but its such a great lens I find i don't have to worry too much about sharpness - unless u're stopping down massively that is ;-)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Probably around f/4 to f/5.6. Most lenses are pretty weak full-open and getting beyond f/8 you start to get the impact of defraction caused by the small aperture.

There are a number of reviews on the internet showing graphs of sharpness of this lens so if you want a more definitive answer, try Googling 'Panasonic 20mm reivew' or similar.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Traditionally and as I was taught when studying, the optimum aperture for sharpness on any lens is 2 full stops down from wide open.

The 20mm is an outstanding lens that if used carefully can produce some superb images with a great bokeh, the lens is very sharp wide open so much so that it is often just a case of deciding on depth of field requirements!

kwaphoto

Mu-43 Regular
I have found that f/2 yields a great results but I don't hesitate to use it wide open either. Otherwise, I just adjust based on the desired DOF rather than "sharpness" or a sweet spot. I shoot my images for the image sake and not the lens' desires :2thumbs:

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
Traditionally the teaching is that tie sweet spot is in the mid point of the f/range. From all the test I have read Panasonic has bumped there sweet spot closer to the wide side of the lens. My 20 mm is very good wide open although there is a softening further off axes, still not very bad. At 2.8 it seems to generally behave very well. My 20 mm is good even at f/16 but not perfect there. On the other hand my 14-45mm is almost too soft at f/16 although still usable.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
I always thought - use f8

the 20mm only needs around f3.5 - f4.5 ...... so it would seem

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom