1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Sharpest f stops on 20mm?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jamus, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Peter Jamus
    Just curious, I know some lenses have 'sweet spots', so I was wondering what f stops are particularly sharp on the 20mm f1.7.
    Thanks.
    :redface:

2. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I would say the lens is sharp enough from f/1.7-f/5.6. Maybe the sweet spot is around f/3.5 but then you are chasing that little extra which in this case is such a small extra that it doesn't matter. For real good center sharpness stick between f/2 and f/5.6.

Or, go play with the lens test widget at DPR here.

my cents,

/Jonas

3. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

I tend to use it roughly arround f/3 where it seems sharpest to me but wide opens pretty sharp too - but its such a great lens I find i don't have to worry too much about sharpness - unless u're stopping down massively that is ;-)

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Probably around f/4 to f/5.6. Most lenses are pretty weak full-open and getting beyond f/8 you start to get the impact of defraction caused by the small aperture.

There are a number of reviews on the internet showing graphs of sharpness of this lens so if you want a more definitive answer, try Googling 'Panasonic 20mm reivew' or similar.

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Traditionally and as I was taught when studying, the optimum aperture for sharpness on any lens is 2 full stops down from wide open.

The 20mm is an outstanding lens that if used carefully can produce some superb images with a great bokeh, the lens is very sharp wide open so much so that it is often just a case of deciding on depth of field requirements!

6. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I have found that f/2 yields a great results but I don't hesitate to use it wide open either. Otherwise, I just adjust based on the desired DOF rather than "sharpness" or a sweet spot. I shoot my images for the image sake and not the lens' desires :2thumbs:

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Traditionally the teaching is that tie sweet spot is in the mid point of the f/range. From all the test I have read Panasonic has bumped there sweet spot closer to the wide side of the lens. My 20 mm is very good wide open although there is a softening further off axes, still not very bad. At 2.8 it seems to generally behave very well. My 20 mm is good even at f/16 but not perfect there. On the other hand my 14-45mm is almost too soft at f/16 although still usable.

8. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    Peter Jamus
    Thanks, Bill!

9. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I always thought - use f8

the 20mm only needs around f3.5 - f4.5 ...... so it would seem

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.