Sharpest, cheapest, small m43?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by slackercruster, Oct 23, 2013.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    I have E-PM1 and E-PL1. I'm looking to upgrade IQ. What options are out there for similar size small cams that are not too crazy priced and will show a noticeable IQ upgrade for the money expended?

Thanks

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I believe all the Olympus m4/3 cameras with the 16MP Sony sensor and the Panasonics with their latest sensor will give you noticeable upgrade in terms of IQ. If small size is required, than the Olympus E-PM2 and E-PL5, as well as the just-announced Panasonic GM1 will fit the bill. As far as price is concern, only you can tell if they are reasonably priced or not for you... Perhaps you can look for a used E-PL5 or E-PM2...

• Like Like x 1
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Look at manufacturer's refurbs for the E-PL5 and E-PM2. THe E-PL5 body goes for around $400, the E-PM2 body for around $300.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That, too! Good suggestion!

5. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    A used or refurb EPL5 or EPM2 is your best bet.

6. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    The e-pm2 would be great replacement for the e-pm1. Epl5 is just slightly larger. Best bang for the the buck goes to e-pm2 though I think.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    GetOlympus.com is showing reconditioned EPL5 and EPM2 bodies for $359 and $319 respectively. Only a 90 day warranty though. Cameta.com offers a one year warranty and charges more, but has no stock right now,

• Like Like x 1
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am guessing a bit on this one. But I suspect that the new GM1 is going to give you pretty good bang for your buck even at the launch price of US$749.

The reason I say that is that I suspect you will be able to sell the lens (assuming it is as good as the specs) for say US$350 which would give you a body only price of US$400 for the GM1 (not bad for new although the sensor will be no better than the EPM2 and EPL5.)

9. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I say the e-pl5 for the tilt lcd & touch lcd... Plus you get the hotshoe for a vf later down the road... Look in the forums you can find some deals or Cameta when they get them in stock..

10. HesterAngelo

HesterAngelo Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Fort Worth
    You can choose from Nikon as well. These are priced pretty great and are highly awesome.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Ohhh... you are smart :biggrin:

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If I got a GM1 I'd keep that 12-32. IQ is decent across the zoom range, it goes to 24 mm equivalent wide, it's tiny, and has OIS. Even a prime (except maybe the P14) would be larger.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    e-pM2

Now I'll go read the thread ...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    +1 for the e-pm2, the GM1 will be smaller, but no way cheaper for the time being. In the UK the e-pm2 you can get for £329, the GM1 is £629.