Sharpest apature for Sigma 19mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Phillip, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Phillip

Phillip Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2015
    I have just received the Sigma 19mm lens in the post today and so far have to say I am impressed by the quality of the lens considering the cost. I take a lot of nature/landscape shots and am wondering what the best aperture would be the best to put the lens in to take sharp photos of landscapes?

With my old camera the Nikon D3100 35mm lens I would put the majority of my shots around F stop 11 to get the image sharp but have looked at a lot of shots on the lens and most seem to be around 5.6 approx - would this be the best aperture to use?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At f8-11 you will start to see some diffraction softening on m4/3 cameras. I don't doubt that f5.6 is likely the peak for DOF+sharpness for landscapes. However, I don't think you need to stop down for sharpness unless you want to.

Looking at this review:

The lens is extremely sharp right from f2.8 and only slight improvement at the extreme corners between f2.8 and 4. And F4 and F5.6 are equally very sharp across the frame. F8-11 starts to get a little softer and f16 is where diffraction really hits.
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Yes, Sigma lenses are sharp wide open. For landscapes you usually want to stop down a little to get more DoF so 5.6 or 8 could make sense if you are including some elements in the extreme foreground that must be in focus. But with a 19mm you get plenty of DoF even at 2.8. Focus peaking should help here to show the difference.
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Since you have the lens why don't you just try it and find out for yourself?

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Most any m4/3 lens is great at around f4.5-5.6, which is the point I usually stick with unless I want to go with shallower dof.
  6. Wandering Aengus

Wandering Aengus Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2012
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    this lens certainly isn't "extremely sharp", it's just that it doesn't improve by much when stopped down hence the impression "sharp wide open", but you might want to stop down to improve CA towards the corners.

my experience with it was that it's not sharp shooting close subjects, however I consider it fine shooting landscapes with adequate sharpness, it's not a bad lens, actually far from it, just not as sharp as some people said.
  8. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer