Sharpest AF Lens for GH2

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zuzullo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

What is the sharpest AF lens for Panasonic GH2?
    Do you know any comparison tests online?

thanks

2. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    -

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    The PL25 is very sharp....however, just the opposite, the lens is very fast focusing on the GH2 compared to my GH1 or GF1.

The 20/1.7 ain't bad either..... :wink:

R

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Rich, I take it that you have both the 20 and PL25. How do they compare? And would you say that they have overlapping function on your GH2? I have the 20 but I'm about to give it my dad. So I'm wondering whether to pick up another 20, get a PL25 instead, or wait for the m25/1.4.

Thanks!

5. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I think Zuiko 50mm f2 for 4/3 works under CDAF, and it's supposedly one of the sharpest lens around, so I would imagine it to be very sharp under m4/3.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'd suspect it would have to be any number of the high-end Zuiko or Panaleica 4/3 lenses rather than the natives.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    If you go to slrgear.com, and then look under "alphabetical" (just go to the main page and scroll down, and you'll see the alphabetical listings by manufacturer), you can look at all relevant lenses they've tested.

Once you're in a specific review, click on the thumbnail of the sharpness results grid, just to the right of the review text. Their reviews show sharpness at each aperture, and the format makes it easy to compare to other lenses reviewed on the same site.

Another good one is Lenstip.

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just about ALL the native lenses are very good or excellent, even the "bum" in the group - the 45-200 is a pretty damn good lens.

So the question is, which focal length do you want?
    Wide angle? Panny 7-14
    Normal? Panny 20/1.7
    Short tele? PL45/2.8
    Long tele? Hard to say, probably the Panny 100-300

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Armanius......sorry I mistyped.....I meant to say that the PL45 (2.8 macro) was fast focusing on my G-cameras....and it is especially apparent on the GH2.

I recently sold my PL25.....a really beautiful lens....sharp, beautiful bokeh....but the deal for me has been the small, compact kit that your can carry. The PL25 was a large lens (similar in size to SLR lenses). For that reason alone, I regrettably parted with it.

I am interested in the yet to be announced m25/1.4. I felt that the PL25 and the 20/1.7 did somewhat overlap.

I think people really don't appreciate the PL45/2.8 enough when it comes to people shots....it gets pigeonholed as a macro lens.

Right now my kit is an E-PL2 with the Panasonic 14/2.5, 20/1.7, PL45/2.8 and the Oly 9-18mm....all autofocus........tiny, light and covers all my take anywhere camera needs.

Nice that you are giving your Dad your 20/1.7.....I gave mine to my daughter at Christmas....and bought another one here a month later.

I shoot only adapted lenses on my GH2 now.....now that kit can get heavy :rolleyes:

R

• Like Like x 1
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The ZD50/2 is painnnnnfully slow AF-wise. But awesome IQ.

• Like Like x 2
  11. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

By adapted lens on your GH2 you mean Manual Focus lens, right? As I read all adapted lens work in manual mode only. Can you elaborate a bit also on that?

Thanks in advance!

12. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I am actually looking for a focal length of more or less 90-280mm (35equiv).
    I know that the PL45/f2,8 is probably the sharpest m43 lens available but I need some higher lengh's lens as well. All my best photos were taken at around 140mm (35equiv).

- I would like to consider the Pana 45-200/f4 but I have read really bad things about softness.

- If there would be a way to have AF while using CANON/NIKKOR lens, all my problems would be solved :)

13. Existing 4/3 DSLR lenses (from Olympus, Panasonic, Leica, Sigma) can be adapted with full functionality on all m4/3 cameras with only some of the Panny bodies not being able to autofocus with all of them (unless that has since been firmware corrected???).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Yes....adapted lenses refer to manual focus (also called "legacy") lenses. There are many :43: adapters in the marketplace that allow these (generally older but not necessarily so) lenses to be mounted on :43: bodies.

The beauty of this for me personally is that the cameras that I have used (GF1, GH1, GH2, EP-2, E-PL2) all allow for a magnified focus view on the camera's EVF which greatly enhances focus accuracy. I generally set the function dial to A or M, manually select the aperture I want on the lens itself and the camera sets the proper shutter speed (without too much fiddling around).

Not to say I do not like (native) autofocus lenses, but there is a whole big world of glass out there just waiting for someone to use them.

It always puts a smile on my face.....:biggrin:

R

15. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I like you man. :) I thought the same until I tried one of those legacy lens and noticed that the "magnified focus zoom" utility works manually on those lens. I mean you have to trigger the "magnified focus zoom" manually on the camera. While on a native lens, it does it automatically each time you turn the focus ring.
    This seem to delay the whole process a bit too much, dont you think?

thanks for your nice input!

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the 45-200 gets a bad rap about sharpness from people who have never used a 400mm equiv lens before. The OIS is there, but at those focal lengths, you need to be REALLY steady or you will see it in the image.

Some of the most amazing photos I have seen have been with the 45-200. There is a guy who posts regularly on the dpreview forum pictures of animals from the San Diego zoo and Wild Animal Park that are absolutely stunning.

I will be holding onto my 45-200 until they come out with a brighter version.

.. .and, yes, most all of the full 4/3 panny and zuiko lenses will AF on your camera, some faster than others. I believe all of them will engage the magnified focus assistance automatically.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a native m4/3 lens with the 45-140mm focal length, which would be equivalent to 90-280mm in 35 EFL.

There are currently four lenses in native m4/3 that more or less cover that focal length. You've already mentioned the Pany 45-200.

The other three are Pany 14-140, Oly 14-150, and Oly 40-150.

Amin wrote an extensive review of the Oly 14-150 with comparisons to the Pany 14-140 @ seriouscompacts. com. Here's the link: Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 14-150mm f/4-5.6 Lens Review

IMO, Amin's review is right on point. I've used both lenses and the slight edge in sharpness goes to the Pany, IMO.

Never used the Pany 45-200 and the Oly 40-150. So can't comment there. But I've seen some pretty nice photos from the 45-200.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm totally tempted to get a 45-200 for my GH2. At $260, it seems like a great price. Is the AF pretty fast on the 45-200 on your GF1?

19. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    It depends....it is a pain on the E-P2 and GH1......too many button pushes.

However, it is super simple on the GF1/GH2. Both share the same thumbwheel......all's you have to do is push it in and the EVF automatically magnifies. Tap the shutter button and it reverts back to normal view so you can recompose, if necessary.

The E-PL2 has a dedicated magnify button....VERY simple.

R

20. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

TC: Can you share the link of that guy that you particularly like! It would be nice to see it in action! :)