Sharpening settings in LR

tuxxdk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin
Hello

Up for discussion, I'm curious to what fellow LR users use for settings.

I've played quite a bit with some ORF files from my E-M10 and have found that:

Amount 40
Radius 0.7
Detail 50
Masking 25
Luminious noise control 10

.. Works pretty good for ISO200 images as a generel rule. I've disables in-cam noise control.

However it's just recently I've started playing with those sharpen sliders. So it's much new to me.

What are your settings? Perhaps even enable in-cam noise control and not use a small amount in LR? I find that even on base ISO there is a small amount of grain that I'm not used to with APS-C, hence my experiment with noise removal on 10.

Please share :)

m4c

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ondrej
I almost never touch Radius (1) and detail (25), for amount of sharpening I mostly have it around 70-80 and masking always with alt key, so I know what exactly is sharpened.
Noise reduction on ISO 200 is around 10, with higher ISO it´s always higher up to 40-50. In camera noise reduction is always off, because it seems to me, that on my old EP1 noise reduction only add noise :mad:

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wrote an article on sharpening for my personal, non commercial blog. I used ACDSee as the software model, but during my research, I discovered that at least the older versions of Lr approach sharpening in the same way as ACDsee Pro. I suspect you will find the latter half of the article more useful than the first half. Take what you want and leave the rest, I guess!

http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/2014/04/on-sharpening-images.html

christofp

Mu-43 Veteran
Hello

Up for discussion, I'm curious to what fellow LR users use for settings.

I've played quite a bit with some ORF files from my E-M10 and have found that:

Amount 40
Radius 0.7
Detail 50
Masking 25
Luminious noise control 10

.. Works pretty good for ISO200 images as a generel rule. I've disables in-cam noise control.

However it's just recently I've started playing with those sharpen sliders. So it's much new to me.

What are your settings? Perhaps even enable in-cam noise control and not use a small amount in LR? I find that even on base ISO there is a small amount of grain that I'm not used to with APS-C, hence my experiment with noise removal on 10.

Please share :)

I had some issues with high "detail" settings, this can give very nasty noise at high ISOs.

I have more radius and less detail:

Amount 25
Radius 1.0
Detail 15
Masking 25

Noise Lum 20
Detail Lum 50
Noise Col 25
Detail Col 50

Christof

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
Amount 35
Radius 2.0
Detail 50
Masking 25-50+ (check smooth areas like sky with holding Alt key)

tuxxdk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin
Cool - keep'em coming :) There's something for the weekend to mess with then, if rain should fall (and they say it will).

MichaelShea

Mu-43 Regular
Sharpening presets are usually a mistake, unless they refer specifically to certain cameras, lenses and particular photo subject matter all at the same time. Even then, they are really only a starting point. It's quite ridiculous to apply the same amount and type of sharpening to a portrait, for example, as you would to a landscape scene.

tuxxdk

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Martin
I fully agree, Michael.

Nevertheless, a good starting point is great. In a hurry, I could mark all photos and export in batch with that starting point.

I have a starting point that works for 90% of my images shot at base ISO. Then I can fiddle with the last 10%. Rather that, than a starting point that only works for 10% :)

My preset is not the same for the D7000, LX3 and Fuji X100s, to name a few, of my images in the database.

emptysensor

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe
I use amount 40, radius 1.2, detail 25. But here's the really cool part - While holding alt slide the masking to the right and watch the display. As you increase masking it blocks out large areas (they turn black) where you don't want to apply sharpening. For me this has made a significant difference in my quality. You don't need to apply sharpening to large areas with no edges and this takes care of that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom