1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sharpening in LR

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JoJo, Feb 14, 2014.

1. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I use the latest Lightroom and I really like it. Shooting in Olympus raw means that sharpening should be performed in LR. What settings are you using? I find that I have slightly better results in a different program but that means I have an extra step in my workflow.
    My cameras are all EM5 models and no processing is done in camera. I think I must be missing something in LR.

Thanks

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

You could read an entire book on sharpening (yes there is one!). I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. General advice on sharpening?

Lightroom uses an UnSharp Mask. I suggest reading up on sharpening. It's well worth your time.

A couple of links

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/unsharp-mask.htm

[video=youtube_share;KXtTeixz92A]http://youtu.be/KXtTeixz92A[/video]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    I usually well, more often than not, drop my radius to 0.5 and hike the sharpening slider to 100+.

It seems to work for me. :thumbup:

4. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Those settings are exactly what I use in Photoshop (last two years) since I switched to Oly m4/3. When I use them in LR the results are different. I think there is another setting outside of UnSharp Mask that affects it's look. Back to the drawing board.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    The Masking slider and the Alt(Option) key are your friends. Also, you need to keep in mind that all images are different and often require different sharpening settings depending of the subject detail and the desired reproduction sizes. The best sharpening for a web image will often look horrid if the image is printed large.

First, holding the Alt key while adjusting any of the Detail sliders temporarily gives an alternate display that can be a big help in making the adjustments With the Sharpness>Amount slider, the image is displayed in B&W, often giving you a better view of the impact of the sharpening. It's also useful when using the Radius and Masking sliders as it causes the mask to be displayed.

Second, using the Detail and Masking sliders to mask the sharpening so that if affects important edges without altering the smoother areas will also improve almost all images. Again, hold the Alt key while moving the slider to display the mask instead of the image.

Like others here, I tend to use a high Amount setting and a low Radius, but I also tend to use a rather high Masking setting. I often make a Virtual Copy with different (increased) sharpening when an image will be posted on the web at a modest size.

For a basic tutorial, check out Adobe TV's video on the topic. Also watch the similar episode on noise reduction.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-5/sharpening-an-image/

(BTW, I've never seen Will Soto drop the knives... )

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    This made my day! Thanks a bunch!

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA