1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sharp shots with GF1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Toonman, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I recently posted a 'For Sale' on here for my GF1 with 14-45 but withdrew it. I am struggling to get sharp shots at any iso. I recently took some pics of a head shot of my wife at various iso settings from 100-800 with it and my Canon G11. The results were that the G11 beat it hands down for detail (Hair) and sharpness. I have since deleted the pics so can't show them but overall I am struggling to get the sharp detailed shots that I expected. Does any body else have this problem? Judging from the great shots posted I suspect not. Can you help? Am I expecting too much from the MFT sensor? I would like to keep it as the size etc is ideal for me...........but I'm struggling!

2. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    RAW or JPG?

Did you shoot raw or jpg? And if jpg, what in-cam settings (sharpness, contrast etc) did you use?

3. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There are many factors that could be coming into play here such as depth of field, how close the object is that you are trying to focus on, where your area of focus is set, ect. Some examples of your photos would be helpful in determining a possible cause. It will be difficult to say what the problem is without something to look at.

Do you have anything posted on flickr or something?

4. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    You must be doing something wrong or you have way too high expectations.
    Go in Menu/Setup/Reset and reset everything to factory settings. Try to take shots with OIS on and off. See what happens!

5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Folks.

I shoot in Raw and jpg and process Raw files in Bibble pro 5.

My Jpgs have +1 contrast, +1 Sharpness, +1 Colour, Nr off.

I don't expect D3x image quality from a small sensor but I would expect it to blow my Canon G11 out of the water!

I have not posted any of the pictures on any sites like flickr as yet. I will try and post some examples this weekend.

I know the GF1 is a good camera, tens of thousands of superb posted shots online prove this.

I have tried taking shots with Vr on and off at various speeds and frankly cannot tell any difference.

Lastly I use a central focus point (small box) and reframe if required.

6. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Looking at the DPReview image comparison tool and selecting GF1 and G11 with RAW and ISO100, I do believe the GF1 is a lot sharper (although the GF1 samples are made with the ZD50/2, the sharpest lens ever made. OTOH, the kit lens is pretty good as well!). Must be some problem with the settings I would think.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What aperture?

99% sure this is a DOF problem, not a sharpness problem.

With the compact, you always have infinite DOF, so those hairs are in focus. Depending on focal length and aperture, those hairs may very well be out of focus with the larger sensor.

More advanced tools usually require more advanced skillz.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Up to an 8x10 there isn't any significant difference in sharpness between my GF1 and my 1Ds.

G

• Like Like x 1
  9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    It's not the MFT sensor (it could be the specific sensor in your camera, but not MFT in general). There is something wrong with your setup (equipment) or technique. I've been getting very sharp and detailed images with my GF1 and 14-45mm.

There are so many things that can go wrong, and you'll just need to try isolating them if you can. Do you have access to a friend's mu-43 bodies and/or lenses to try?

Or maybe you can have a service technician check it out?

Good luck.

--Warren

• Like Like x 1
  10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I could be a bad copy of the 14-45 lens. Have you tried a different lens?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks again for the input. I will take a number of test shots this weekend and let you know.

12. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I have made several test shots this weekend and it would appear that it is dof,as many have suggested. I have been using the Canon G11 a lot lately. With it's smaller sensor the dof was is (as previously suggested) much greater.
    Thanks to everyone for pointing out what I should have known.:redface::redface:

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Now that you know ... use the shallow DOF of the GF1 to your advantage.

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Glad you got the issue sorted.

I have had my GF1 +20 & 14-45 since it hit the market and it is a great camera with a good set of lenses.
    I agree with Gary and at 8x10" it is difficult to see any quality difference between the GF1 and my D700 - above that and at anything over base |ISO, the game changes.

Enjoy the camera it is a great and enjoyable tool of the trade.