Sharp portrait (40mm ~ 60mm) pancake lens?

Beomagi

Mu-43 Rookie
Perspective is not created by focal length, but by distance. What I perceive as 'natural perspective' for facial features in photos corresponds to a distance of 3 to 5 metres. If you follow this rule, for face-only portraits a 75 to 90 mm focal length on :43: suits best. For head and shoulders (down to waist) 40-50 mm is fine. Full body can very well be done with 20-25 mm.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to state it depends on angle to axis of viewing? People getting close with their framing have complained about the 20mm - sure standing back would be better - but that's because their subject's extremities would be at a smaller angle to the axis.

Also, you initiate by stating Perspective isn't created by focal length, but by distance, then mention suggestions for focal lengths depending on framing.

In the end it depends on how you want to frame your subject. After a point though extra focal length just seems like a hassle without making much difference.

Beomagi

Mu-43 Rookie
I have also been looking for one of those, it seems the thrift shop is my last hope as on eBay they start at $350. :frown:

BK

Keep your eyes peeled on KEH and Ebay - I picked one up in good condition for $67. Almost had another - it sold for ~$130

Latest threads

Top Bottom