1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sharp pocketable compact?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by manju69, Apr 3, 2016.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi all

I'm looking out for a truly pocketable camera that has a reasonable sharp lens. I tried the GM5 but my pockets are not that big!

Would consider the RX100's but still a little big perhaps. Is there anything smaller worth considering?

And a degree of manual control would be good for me

And some optical zoom.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use a Canon s110 at work, and it's surprisingly good for its size.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I had an S110 until it accidentally went thru the washing machine. Loved the camera though. Replaced it with a Panny GM1. Not as pocketable but less likely to have the same fate.

If I were to by a new pocket camera, I'd seriously look at the Canon G9X.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Ricoh GR if you can give up optical zoom and just crop. Remember, you have a lot of sensor to work with for cropping.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Canon makes a G9X that is a little smaller than a RX100 but has similar specs

The Fujifilm XQ series may be worth a look. 2/3" Sensor.

The problem is that larger sensor and larger lens = sharper and those also equal bigger. People have been looking for the perfect balance there for a long time and the 1" compacts seem to be a nice sweet spot for most.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have a Samsung nx mini in my pocket, with the 9mm prime though, not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've recently been through this. I was going to buy the Canon G9X but then blew the budget on a Panasonic GX8. I know, nothing like each other. I previously had a little Fuji with the 2/3" sensor - brilliant when it worked but the most unreliable camera ever. If Alfa Romeo made cameras...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    A warning regarding "pocketable" cameras. I have owned a few over the years, and have carried them in my pockets without apparent problems. That is, until I bought a Canon G7X. After a few months of pocket-carrying use, I discovered a snowstorm of dust inside the lens assembly. After a bit of Googling I learned that any compact camera with a telescoping lens can draw dust into the lens assembly when it telescopes outwards, as the resulting lower air pressure inside the lens assembly draws air in between the lens sections, and with it any dust that has collected on the lens. However, the Canon G7X is in a league of its own, and there are plenty of complaints about dust inside the lens over on dpreview (recognizing, of course, that everything on dpreview is complaints :().

After sending the camera back to Canon and having the lens assembly replaced, the solution to avoiding the problem was to purchase a 58mm slip-on lens cap that fits snugly over the retracted lens assembly. It also protects the delicate blades that cover the lens when the camera is turned off. Now I can carry it in my pocket without worries. If you buy a Canon G7X, do yourself a favour and buy the slip-on lens cap, and never carry the camera in your pocket without it. I have no idea if the same size lens cap fits the G9X, which has a different lens assembly but could be just as bad for sucking in dust. The same thing applies to other compact cameras, although I've never noticed the problem with other Canon P&S cameras or other brands, but I don't doubt that any compact camera with a telescoping lens could have the same dust problem.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. tkbslc

Dust (and discomfort at bulging pockets) is the reason I tend to go with a small belt pouch for cameras over a pocket. Plus, with phone, keys, wallet there isn't much room anyway, even for a tiny camera

And once you are using a belt pouch, you don't have to sweat a few extra mm of thickness.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I tend to agree about 1" sensors being my lower limit, and the Sony RX100 series or new Nikon DL's look interesting. The original (version I) is notably thinner than later versions.

But two that stick out might be the Panasonic LF1 and Sony DSC-WX350. They're a little thinner than the original RX100.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Ricoh GR and Canon G9X would be my two options. The only compact I'm interested in right now is the ZS100 for its lens range. It's ever-so-slightly larger than an RX100, but I tend to agree with tkbslc. The RX100 is too thick to comfortably fit in a pocket, and the ZS100 has capabilities that are so far ahead that I have no problem using a belt pouch instead. I have one that fits my GX1 + 20mm/1.7 already...

• Like Like x 1
  13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks everyone. That has given loads to look into. Tempted by the GR at the moment and the 1" sensor cameras. The XQ2 looks good also but I read bad reviews about the autofocus.

14. bomo

bomo Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2014
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Wayne
    I never had any dust problems with my S110, but then again I always carried it in a snug fitting pouch. Was fine for jacket pocket or cargo pants but never carried it in a pants pocket.

15. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    The new Panasonic TZ100 (ZS100 in the US, TZ110 in Aus/NZ, ...) is pretty much in a class of its own at the moment, with 1" sensor and 25-250mm lens. It is bit larger than the earlier TZ camera's so unlike those it may not be quite pocket size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pstmstr

Pstmstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2016
    If it wasn't limited to just a 28mm lens or a 21mm with an adapter, the GR would be my only camera. As it is, it's still what I shoot with the most.

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Domke wraps, especially the older ones, are great for just a bit of protection (including dust) with minimal size/weight increases. It is a bit slower on initial draw, but still a worthwhile option for consideration.

--Ken

18. victor.reynolds712

victor.reynolds712 New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2016
    Ditto. In my case, I have a Nikon Coolpix 310 that is a reliable camera. Although dust has not been the issue, you have to watch for getting smudges on the lens when it's extended. This can even happen if it's turned on accidentally while in your pocket.

And be careful where you place them too. Small convenient size can be a headache if misplaced.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

19. dougpayne

dougpayne Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2016
    C.D. Payne
    I have a Canon G9X and Fuji XQ1. Both excellent cameras. Both fit nicely in my pocket. I keep them in zippered neoprene cases that don't add much bulk. I would not put any camera unprotected by a case into my pocket. The contrast detection auto focus does require that you point them to an area with some contrast. They won't focus well on a flat gray wall, for example.

Here's a photo I took recently with the Canon G9X:

25356347485_f2f2e3c6a2_c. pink_n_blue by D Payne, on Flickr

20. tkbslc

I've actually been thinking about compacts a little more this weekend. I have owned some in the past, both low end and high end. The problem with low end compacts is that your phone probably takes pictures that are just as nice. The problem with high end compacts, is that they are expensive and not small enough to just take them along every day just in case. So where is the shooting scenario where they make sense? If I am just heading out for a normal day and don't specifically plan for any photos, why would I put a bulky camera in my pocket or in a small bag? If I stumble across something unexpected, I know I'll have my phone and i need that for day-to-day anyway. If I am heading out with something specific in mind, why wouldn't I bring my m4/3 cam and appropriate lens? So I'm left with the rare shooting scenario where I know I want to take pictures, but can't bring a small ILC and lens? How often will that happen?

What does make sense to me are the few compacts that offer something unique. For example, I was looking at the Olympus Tough 860/870 as a possible compact. It offers extreme durability, so I can take it places I wouldn't bring my phone or a nice camera. It lets me shoot under water. It also offers one of the widest lenses on the market at 21mm equiv. That's something I'm not going to get from my phone, even if the image quality likely won't be a huge step up from a phone. So I have a clear usage case for where this camera would make sense.

But if you go with something like an RX100 or similar, well what does that really offer over a GM5 with a 12-32 or a pancake prime? where are you going to take an RX100 that you wouldn't the GM5 or even an E-M5?

Just some thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1