sharp lens 100mm recommendations ?

ohcam

New to Mu-43
I am looking for super sharp lens roundabout 100mm - c-mount would be handy.

For tabletop and product photos mainly.

What should I look for ?

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
100mm equivalent (i.e. 50mm) or actual 100mm focal length?

I honestly doubt you'd find something fantastic in c-mount. There are dozens of great 50 and 100mm lenses for SLR mounts that easily adapt, though.

Really, for product photography, you'll likely be using good lighting and a tripod and small apertures, so I'd say something like a 45-150 is as good as anything unless you need near macro focusing.

ohcam

New to Mu-43
I do have quite few good lenses - but am looking for the supersharp ones.
The S-Planar is my favorite so far. You know some lenses are extremly sharp so the object kind of pops out.

I just wondered if there is something in the c-mount area in this quality.

ohcam

New to Mu-43
I never let the budget stop me as every lens shows up sooner or later for a good price.

Gary5

Mu-43 Veteran
Nikon 100mm/2.8 series E gets a lot of good reviews. I've never tried it, but every review I've seen said it had excellent sharpness and overall IQ. I often see them for $75.

In c-mount, the only longer lens I've tried is the Navitar 75mm/1.4, which is something of a cult lens. It's super sharp in the center and has some swirly bokeh. Great lens for portraits, but I don't know anything about product photography, so maybe not so great for that. I've seen them for $75-150. It's also sold with Ernitec, Tarcus, Computar and no-name branding, but is also often confused with Cosmicar and Pentax 75mm c-mounts, which are not the same lens.

IvanK

Mu-43 Rookie
I never let the budget stop me as every lens shows up sooner or later for a good price.

If you don't mind the MF, my answer is Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Makro Planar 100 f/2 (Nikon mount, with aperture control). No compromisses, uber sharp wide open, beautiful bokeh, amazing rendering, full 1:2 macro mode, modern optical design, with fancy, expensive optical elements used, build to last forever. Check it, you will not be disappointed.

ohcam

New to Mu-43
Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Makro Planar 100 f/2

Definitly an interesting beast. And it is fast to f-2 is cool für a macro.

Looks like it does make those popping images.

But the bad thing is it so bulky on a tiny m4/3 camera.
I do have weird setups which are a lot easier to handle with a small camera + small lens.

DigitalD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Carl Zeiss is a fantastic MF lens. For a few less buckaroos you could also grab a Canon FD 100mm f2 or f2.8. Both are very sharp however not the same close focus distance as the Zeiss (I believe, might have to look it up). I have the f2.8. Its very very sharp.

13386208424_8fcaaf6363_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Wildlife of Cauley Square by nyartboy1, on Flickr

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
A Leica m-mount Summicron 90/2 is pretty compact and has a nice rendering. The Minolta made Rokkor 90/4 in m-mount is is pretty compact and sharp.

Fred

D

Deleted member 20897

If you are not opposed to Tamron in Nikon mount, I know that the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro is super sharp. I've used it a few times on my Oly EM1. Get the one with the aperture ring and an adapter - good to go.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
There's a new Samyang/Rokinon 100mm f2.8 macro lens on the way soon for $549 USD. If it's as sharp, flare resistant and contrasty as the 7.5mm fisheye or some of their other lenses, it will be a perfect macro lens.

ohcam

New to Mu-43
Thanks a lot- these are some good ideas.
I will have to google these.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Check out the Nikkor 105mm
f1.8 or f2.5. I have the F2.5 and am impressed with sharpness.

Attachments

• roche pan 1.jpg
    roche pan 1.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 184

edmsnap

Mu-43 Veteran
The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used, does it edge-to-edge, and boasts some of the most legendary bokeh in the world of photography.

arch stanton

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malc
Surprised at the lack of love for Olympus - I have an old OM 100mm/2.8 that's a great lens. Replaced with a new Panny 35-100/2.8 that's better, but for the price/focal length it's a great small, light lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom