1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

sharp lens 100mm recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ohcam, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ohcam

ohcam New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    I am looking for super sharp lens roundabout 100mm - c-mount would be handy.

For tabletop and product photos mainly.

What should I look for ?

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    55mm Micro Nikkor=110mm FF.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

100mm equivalent (i.e. 50mm) or actual 100mm focal length?

I honestly doubt you'd find something fantastic in c-mount. There are dozens of great 50 and 100mm lenses for SLR mounts that easily adapt, though.

Really, for product photography, you'll likely be using good lighting and a tripod and small apertures, so I'd say something like a 45-150 is as good as anything unless you need near macro focusing.

4. ohcam

ohcam New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    I do have quite few good lenses - but am looking for the supersharp ones.
    The S-Planar is my favorite so far. You know some lenses are extremly sharp so the object kind of pops out.

I just wondered if there is something in the c-mount area in this quality.

5. IvanK

IvanK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Whats your budget $$$?

6. ohcam

ohcam New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    I never let the budget stop me as every lens shows up sooner or later for a good price.

7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Nikon 100mm/2.8 series E gets a lot of good reviews. I've never tried it, but every review I've seen said it had excellent sharpness and overall IQ. I often see them for $75.

In c-mount, the only longer lens I've tried is the Navitar 75mm/1.4, which is something of a cult lens. It's super sharp in the center and has some swirly bokeh. Great lens for portraits, but I don't know anything about product photography, so maybe not so great for that. I've seen them for $75-150. It's also sold with Ernitec, Tarcus, Computar and no-name branding, but is also often confused with Cosmicar and Pentax 75mm c-mounts, which are not the same lens.

8. IvanK

IvanK Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    If you don't mind the MF, my answer is Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Makro Planar 100 f/2 (Nikon mount, with aperture control). No compromisses, uber sharp wide open, beautiful bokeh, amazing rendering, full 1:2 macro mode, modern optical design, with fancy, expensive optical elements used, build to last forever. Check it, you will not be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ohcam

ohcam New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Makro Planar 100 f/2

Definitly an interesting beast. And it is fast to f-2 is cool für a macro.

Looks like it does make those popping images.

But the bad thing is it so bulky on a tiny m4/3 camera.
    I do have weird setups which are a lot easier to handle with a small camera + small lens.

10. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Carl Zeiss is a fantastic MF lens. For a few less buckaroos you could also grab a Canon FD 100mm f2 or f2.8. Both are very sharp however not the same close focus distance as the Zeiss (I believe, might have to look it up). I have the f2.8. Its very very sharp.

13386208424_8fcaaf6363_b. Wildlife of Cauley Square by nyartboy1, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A Leica m-mount Summicron 90/2 is pretty compact and has a nice rendering. The Minolta made Rokkor 90/4 in m-mount is is pretty compact and sharp.

Fred

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you are not opposed to Tamron in Nikon mount, I know that the Tamron 90/2.8 Macro is super sharp. I've used it a few times on my Oly EM1. Get the one with the aperture ring and an adapter - good to go.

14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    There's a new Samyang/Rokinon 100mm f2.8 macro lens on the way soon for $549 USD. If it's as sharp, flare resistant and contrasty as the 7.5mm fisheye or some of their other lenses, it will be a perfect macro lens.

15. ohcam

ohcam New to Mu-43

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks a lot- these are some good ideas.
    I will have to google these.

16. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Check out the Nikkor 105mm
    f1.8 or f2.5. I have the F2.5 and am impressed with sharpness.

Attached Files:

17. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro is probably the sharpest lens I've ever used, does it edge-to-edge, and boasts some of the most legendary bokeh in the world of photography.

18. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Surprised at the lack of love for Olympus - I have an old OM 100mm/2.8 that's a great lens. Replaced with a new Panny 35-100/2.8 that's better, but for the price/focal length it's a great small, light lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.