1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shark photos published in the UK (E-PL1)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ggibson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Back in March, my wife and I did some shark diving in Grand Bahamas, and I brought along my new E-PL1 underwater setup. My images were noticed by a media agency in the UK and I worked with them to syndicate some articles around. It's pretty exciting for me, as the first time I've been published like this! Here's a link to an article in The Daily Mail:

Incredible moment shark whisperer hypnotises deadly shark for 15 minutes with a gentle nose rub | Mail Online

Also, if anyone is in the UK, you can find a few print articles appearing today in:

The Times - News section, page 4
    The Daily Telegraph - page 8
    Metro - page 3
    Irish Daily Mirror - section M21 (pictured)

9510999048_d6bbff417d_b.

2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    amazing!!:2thumbs:

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I notice he's wearing ringmail. Wise.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Some incredible shots there and CONGRATULATIONS on getting published!
    :dancingparty:

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Fantastic shot - congrats.

As for the Daily Mail though - I never believe a word that's published there. The headline says : "Incredible moment shark whisperer hypnotises deadly shark for 15 minutes with a gentle nose rub". If The Mail's up to its usual form, I'd guess that the shark was harmless, the "whisperer" never said a word, that it didn't last 15 mins and that the shark's nose had nothing to do with anything!

6. mikey2omd

mikey2omd New to Mu-43

Jul 18, 2013
    Congrats on getting published! Those are some amazing pictures!

7. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Hah, well yes they do sensationalize a bit, don't they? The media agency that contacted me came up with the "shark whisperer" tagline. But it's kind of descriptive of how he is able to make the sharks completely comatose in his hands.

The nose rub is actually what he's doing though (not quite for 15 minutes when we were there, but I bet he could probably do it that long if he wanted)! The video I shot shows him starting the "hypnosis" or tonic immobility around 3:19:

https://vimeo.com/62043562

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Great shots and congrats on getting those published! :smile:

I've always been fascinated by sharks but I would totally lose it if I was surrounded by sharks that big... :biggrin:

9. ggibson

ggibson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011