Sharing your photos online - where to start?

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I use Flickr also. Pro, since I have too many pics :) works good I think. New owners seem to take care good.
Had Tumblr for a while but something happened with that. Frustrated with things going bad when you have used it for years.
Don't have Facebook, Instagram.
500px was also popular but I never felt anything for that.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One thing worth reminding is whenever you pay to host something online, said thing may only remain online as long as you keep paying for hosting and the host doesn't go bankrupt.

I have a couple of network drives on RAID at home, plus backups on Flickr Pro and Amazon AWS. If any one of these goes bust, I have two to recover from.... JINX! :biggrin:

Also, always beware of free hosting sites. You get what you pay for and it's worth remembering what happened with Photobucket. They changed their TOS and it was a matter of my-way-or-the-highway for a lot of people.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
That appears to be a paid photo hosting service.

Do you perhaps mean the open-source "Zenphoto" gallery system?

I tried that a while back, and had some usability problems I can't recall at the moment.
My web host runs my site under Linux using cPanel as a basic front end.

cPanel allows for the installation of (e.g.) Wordpress, Zenfolio s/w (including Zenfolio gallery s/w) among many other applications, including those not directly available via cPanel.

I run a Wordpress front end to a Zenfolio Gallery on one of the domain names I host on my site.

These are not hosted on Zenfolio servers. They are hosted on my own leased server space.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
My web host runs my site under Linux using cPanel as a basic front end.

cPanel allows for the installation of (e.g.) Wordpress, Zenfolio s/w (including Zenfolio gallery s/w) among many other applications, including those not directly available via cPanel.

I run a Wordpress front end to a Zenfolio Gallery on one of the domain names I host on my site.

These are not hosted on Zenfolio servers. They are hosted on my own leased server space.
Cool! How did you get the Zenfolio software? Their site does not obviously offer self-hosting as an option.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
In a perfect world, Amin would host galleries here for users, which could be subscribed to. Images would be clickable for large size versions, and for fun also allow viewers to click through to see which thread the photos appeared on (much like the 'IMAGES' page that exists for subscribing members now).

That way everything I wanted for my photography would be in one place - really pleasant and influential forums, a gallery I could send friends and family to, and the ability to follow other people's photos in the context in which they were placed. I've learnt so much here, and I am very grateful for it. Very few people thrust their photography credentials in your face, and beginners seem as happy here as the ancient and bearded amongst us.

I'd happily pay an annual subscription for my suggestions above, but know it would mean a great deal of work for Amin. For while I'm not interested in hundreds of 'likes' or 'followers', the ability to get feedback from other people who use the same system, bodies and lenses that you do, is extremely nice, and as the forums in the main are run for the benefit of m4/3 users it's a peaceful land to wander in. If photography websites were drinking holes, this one would rarely have a fight at the bar. That pub across the road, on the other hand, that some of us of slip into occasionally, would need a coach-load of riot police in the carpark each night :)

Last edited:

discus277

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
Other folks have posted very good summaries of options available. However, reading your posts and It did sound to me like you were primarily interested in a place to share with family and friends. If so I would recommend that you at least have a look at Wordpress.com. This is the version that does not require you to have your own domain name or a separate hosting site. Therefore it is entirely free.

In my own case I wanted a way to talk a little about the photos because I wanted to share a trip we had taken or something we had cooked or a walk or hike taken, etc. So, it was a blog site for me but one for family and friends. I posted dozens of blogs to our site over several years.....here is the site if you care to have a look

https://frippgrandpa.wordpress.com/

Later I decided I wanted my own web site and developed a site using Wordpress.org. Here is that site

http://ronnieandjim.com/

However, I am currrently thinking about moving to a lower cost hosting site. If you want to look at some of these, Wordpress.org lists several here

https://wordpress.org/hosting/

By the way, I love this forum and realize I should be a Subscribing member to help support it....so on to do that next.

Jim

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Many thanks again for the viable input here. So far I've decided to give Flickr a try, as already stated by some, the basic version is free and the limit of 1000 pictures is very good. I'll see how it works out, at the same time I can easily look for (self hosted) Wordpress options, since I still have a (very basic) rented webspace anyways.

Last but not least I have to admit I feel kind of dumb, I already looked for some "Donate!"-button, but couldn't find it, while I already noticed that big yellow badge under some usernames, I never paid attention to it. Now I actually realized you can actually subscribe here, which I just did.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
I used to use Flickr and 500px
Flickr for sharing photos with family and friends and 500px as my 'portfolio'
But due to changes at Flickr, free users limiting to 1000 pictures I had to move somewhere else or pay for the pro. I moved my family photos to Google photos and kept 2 portfolio sites: Flickr and 500px

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Zenfolio gallery software that is installable on one's own web site.
John, can you provide a link to that?

I searched "zenfolio free," "zenfolio open source," "zenfolio download" and a few other variations, and all I get is the commercial photo hosting service.

I've been looking at image management systems since Apple abandoned Aperture. :-(

I want something that is 1) open source, 2) web-based or at least easily web-exportable, and 3) does an excellent job of searching, sorting, and allowing modifications to metadata. Extra points for being able to use any common open-source back-end.

The closest I've seen has been darktable, but the Mac version is dreadfully slow and buggy. I reported a handful of bugs, and they said they don't even do any testing on a Mac!

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
John, can you provide a link to that?

I searched "zenfolio free," "zenfolio open source," "zenfolio download" and a few other variations, and all I get is the commercial photo hosting service.

Jan, it comes as part of cPanel on any web hosting platform that has cPanel as its owner user interface.

My (very basic) WordPress web site is here:

https://canopuscomputing.com.au

It contains a link into my Zenfolio Zenphoto gallery, which is here:

https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

This is accessible directly, of course.

The Zenfolio Zenphoto gallery software is file based, and will import all metadata on upload, and that is searchable and editable after upload.

I use FileZilla as an FTP client for upload.

The gallery software is very flexible. If you are prepared to dig into custom styles, even more so. I did all that with my original gallery software (Gallery2), but it is now defunct and unsupported. I cannot be bothered doing it again ...

Besides, I have loathed and detested using Unix for nearly 40 years ...

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Except I don't use PayPal......is there another way to subscribe?
No, Jim. Too much work for Amin to collate funds from different payment methods.

Just use a small limit debit card. I have one of these just for use on the Internet. The account it is linked to never has enough in it to bother stealing it!

It's the same account my PayPal account is linked to. I transfer funds into it as necessary.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I believe it is Zenphoto CMS from Zenphoto.org not Zenfolio. This may help those trying to find the software.

--Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom