Share your 12mp images

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Posterisation is almost always caused by using Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body. The Panny f/1.7 20 (? IIRC) was notorious. Usually manifested as banding, rather than posterisation.

Which lens/lenses?

It helps enormously if you can post specific images that show the effect, along with specific details.

I have E-PM2 (16 MPx Sony sensor), E-M1 MkI (16 MPx Panasonic) and E-M1 MkII (20 MPx Sony). I have never seen any odd effects from any of them.

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
Posterisation is almost always caused by using Panasonic lenses on an Olympus body. The Panny f/1.7 20 (? IIRC) was notorious. Usually manifested as banding, rather than posterisation.

Which lens/lenses?

It helps enormously if you can post specific images that show the effect, along with specific details.

I have E-PM2 (16 MPx Sony sensor), E-M1 MkI (16 MPx Panasonic) and E-M1 MkII (20 MPx Sony). I have never seen any odd effects from any of them.
Great, but I don't want to elaborate this here. I had too many debate about this in the past with very little if any useful results - except that the participants tried to prove their right all above. I don't need that. Be happy with your cameras, I am with mine. And I don't speak about banding, which is quite obvious at higher ISOs with the 20/1.7.

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
That's fine. I understand all points raised, and don't blame you at all!

I spent 13 years being trolled, flamed, bashed and baited at DPR, so am very sympathetic.

This is (mostly ... ) a very friendly and sympathetic forum, unlike most.
Thanks for you understanding, John. I have similar experiences regarding to DPR m43 forum. And this particular topic about rendering is especially a shaky one.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Most things I post in this thread use a Panasonic 35-100 f4 on the pm1, which I think has a Sony sensor. That lens makes a great match for that camera. I'll try to post a few from the trip I'm on when i get back tomorrow. I wonder that the problems you describe might be the jpeg engine though, which might benefit by using raw, although I admit I don't have the patience for raw since I've found in-camera settings I like. DxO liked the olympus 12mpx images better than Panasonic, but I always wonder how much of that is the jpeg engine also, since they evaluate jpeg.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
Very nice pictures! Indeed, the 12mp sensors do have some magic up to ISO 800 compared to the newer ones. I am very interested in the particular lenses you used for these pics, but unfortunately I can't see exifs... could you please share them one-by-one? :)
Thank you very much! All of those were taken with the 20mm. I think all of them were using the nature film style, except the b&w. Lately I’ve been using nostalgia. I really like GF1 jpeg processing.

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you very much! All of those were taken with the 20mm. I think all of them were using the nature film style, except the b&w. Lately I’ve been using nostalgia. I really like GF1 jpeg processing.
Thanks for your reply! The 20mm has a very nice, balanced rendering, unfortunately, I don't like the FOV that much as I always felt my images are crop in a strange way. But I like your images a lot.

The 'Natural' film style is indeed the best of the GF1's, not counting the dynamic b&w, which is so great that it justifies to buy a GF1 on its own IMHO. While I have been using GF1 for more than 5 years already, I only discovered Natural jpeg style lately... But it has a very nice color rendering indeed. Happy shooting!

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
Spring is here!

Panasonic GF1
Olympus 17mm f1.8
----------------------
(f5.6, 1/640, ISO100, cropped)
Kodak Gold 200 VSCO film simulation applied

P1170032-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
Bleeeeeeeee!

Panasonic GF1
Panasonic 14-42 mkII @14mm
---------------------------------
(f7.1, 1/250, ISO 200)

P1170335.JPG

I decided to take the Panasonic GF2 & 20mm f/1.7 on our walk today. It’s a little smaller & lighter than the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II & 17mm f/1.8 I usually take so it slipped into my man purse more easily.
E7591BE7-7A6B-4677-87EF-0184DD2CEE2A.jpeg

6E3EC341-115C-4F7C-ACBF-73F2FFDE689B.jpeg

151357D1-9DE3-4CFA-B122-6CD1AE6734B3.jpeg

59D0C163-359B-4443-AAB9-4CEBE3ABE0B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Logapeti

Mu-43 Regular
I decided to take the Panasonic GF2 & 20mm f/1.7 on our walk today. It’s a little smaller & lighter than the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II & 17mm f/1.8 I usually take so it slipped into my man purse more easily.
Very good images! Are they OOC jpegs or RAW+post process?

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I finally got a sensor cleaning kit for the ancient PM1, bringing some new life back to the easy to carry camera. A few recent pics from a small winery in southern Illinois:

61D824BC-81E6-4C60-BAC6-3B4B585C00DB.jpeg
BD13DEBF-41ED-42E4-A0E5-26511902BFB4.jpeg

Spring is finally coming to the front range of Colorado.

P4250650.JPG

But the dog misses the cooler weather, she wonders where the snow went.

P4240579.JPG

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
"AF is a bit tricky on small subjects"

For sure, AF is my least favorite thing about the pm1, they've come a long way with AF in the past decade. Although it's still better than either my iPhone or Samsung phone lol.

SilverShutter

Mu-43 Regular
Bought an EP3 I didnt need because it was dirt cheap and pretty much like new. It came with the kit lenses which I've since sold since I already own, and in total the cost came up to 15€ for the body. And actually, it's an amazing camera to use. Here is a SOOC Jpeg with the 7.5 Samyang fisheye.

P4242388.JPG

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
For sure, AF is my least favorite thing about the pm1, they've come a long way with AF in the past decade. Although it's still better than either my iPhone or Samsung phone lol.
GF1 is definitely better than my old E-P1. I quite like the weird AF tracking feature tho - focus on something and it locks on regardless of where you move the camera. My E-PM1 is much faster though. Will have to give it a go next; doesn't get a whole lot of use now I have an E-PM2. I should really use it as a burner camera since its so tiny.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom