Share Websites

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Feb 7, 2015.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I watched this video by Tony Northrup yesterday that argue that every photo enthusiast should have a personal website to show their portfolio - absolutely no need for blogging or selling stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZZtaBgofw

Anyway I was partially convinced so I thought I would try the website he suggested - squarespace (14 day free trial, no credit card details needed)

I was really surprised.

1) It is incredibly easy to set up. Choose a template, fill out the boxes and add photos. It took me 3 hours but I could do it again in less than an hour. Editing your site is a synch.
    2) The templates look really fresh and modern to me. So it is really easy to make a great looking site.

The cost is US$7.20 a month including a free domain (didnt seem unreasonable to me)

Anyway here is mine...

www.salintara.com

Anyway, think about giving it a try and if you already have a personal website why not post it here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that before you use a service like this you should reserve your domain name. If you can't point it or control it, when you inevitably leave those services, everything that you have built-up on the web is lost.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Good point. I actually already had a domain.

But looking at Squarespace. If you sign an annual contract (instead of monthly) you get a free domain managed by squarespace. You can transfer it to another provider so long as it has been active for 60 days.

http://help.squarespace.com/guides/squarespace-managed-domains-faq.

Still it is obviously safer to manage your own domain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.