Share tricks for swapping lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Klorenzo, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Recently I started to do more lens swaps than I used to so I started to look for the perfect procedure. Here is what I got to:

- place the new lens somewhere safe, screw the cap but do not remove it
    - remove the old lens and place it close to the other and move the cap from one lens to the other, no need to screw it now
    - always keep the camera body in vertical position or facing down to protect the sensor
    - attach the new lens

when I do not have a place to put the lenses things are more complex and I still have not found a good routine, especially when swapping big lenses.

Do you have any special tricks, hints?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Watch this. It's even easier with m43 lenses ...
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Remembering the film days when it had to be done in the dark or not at all.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    This is why I normally shoot with 2 bodies. very minimal to zero lens changes required.

However, I have a camera bag with me at all times when I am out shooting and the configurations I choose are either messenger or sling, so I have a place to swap the lenses out.
  5. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Yes - that's the technique I use, and I agree it is generally easy with m43 lenses. Apart from the pancakes, where they are almost too small for it to work well!

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    The first way (lenses at right angles) doesn't work well for me. With the 12-40 there's too much effort required to twist the lens on or off the body for that tenuous a grip. The second way (cap to cap) works great, though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Pancake lenses are even easier, just throw the new lens as high as you can, take the old one off and put it away, catch the new one and twist it on... :2thumbs:
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some lenses are especially bad for this - e.g. Panasonic's new obsession with smoothness on tiny lenses leading to almost nothing to grip properly on. The P12-32 and PL15 I've got both suffer from this. The 7.5 FE is problematic in a different way - due to the way it tapers out, with all mechanical rings, I can't really grip the mount area well. That means I almost inevitably end up primarily gripping the giant plastic front cap, which is a little loose and scary.
  9. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Yes! Also some lenses have smaller "non-moving" parts to catch hold of. Sometimes I accidentally grab the focus ring then wonder why the lens is not coming off. And some of my lenses are still quite a tight fit.

10. coffeecat

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    @wjiang@wjiang - reading your post again, I guess that's what you were saying...
  11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

* Use a shoulder bag with individual compartments and well protected.
    * Keep one compartment empty at all times.
    * Don't use caps. Front nor rear.
    * Keep the camera bag clean. Occasionally empty out the compartments and vacuum.
    * The lenses are pointed up (front element up). When I grab the lens my hand is already in position to attach the lens.

0) Point camera downward
    1) Remove lens
    2) Drop into empty compartment
    3) Grab next lens
    4) Attach to camera.
    5) Shoot

Simple.... fast...

PS> I don't recall (cameras dating to the 40s) any film cameras of mine that required a dark room to change lenses. If anything, you simply have to worry about the sun burning holes in the shutter curtain (cloth).
  12. wjiang

Sort of - tiny is bad, but making it completely smooth rather than ribbed (like Olympus lenses are) makes it worse.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wjiang

Just realised something that helps me a bit. I took off the decoration rings on the O45 and PL15 - no more moving on me when I try and rotate the lens off.
  14. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    like pros :th_salute:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015