Share: Trees

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I've just (re)discovered this shot from all of seventeen years ago.
This tree stands alone alongside the busy A40 trunk road between Haverfordwest and Carmarthen.
I don't suppose many folk take notice of it driving to the shops; however, I was always taken by its shape, but never had a chance to stop on the busy highway.
One January day I had to travel to work very early in the morning and as I'd just bought my first Sony (4 Mp) digital camera, managed to capture it in the wonderful light.
Since retiring eleven years ago I've not passed it again, until last month when I noticed it was still hanging on. :)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seahawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

Last edited:

Pine trees growing inside the dormant volcanic crater at Mount Franklin, Victoria Australia

The root wrap at Mount Rouse, Penshurst, Victoria Australia

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
neighbor's trees this evening

3 images in hugin

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I don't know why - but I didn't know there is volcanoes in Australia!

Lovely sunstar, and f/11. what lens please? Thanks
Rose, Australia has been moving over a couple of volcanic hotspots for quite a few million years. Start up around Mt Bartle Frere, down through Coonabarrabran, Tower Hill, now out off the continental shelf near the western end of Bass Strait. Then there was the Tweed shield volcano. A few others, here and there.

No current active volcanoes, though. Only a rift valley up through South Australia.

Interesting geology in Australia. If you get the opportunity, watch the series "A Time Traveller's Guide to Australia", by Dr Richard Smith (not Dick ... ).

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Rose, Australia has been moving over a couple of volcanic hotspots for quite a few million years. Start up around Mt Bartle Frere, down through Coonabarrabran, Tower Hill, now out off the continental shelf near the western end of Bass Strait. Then there was the Tweed shield volcano. A few others, here and there.

No current active volcanoes, though. Only a rift valley up through South Australia.

Interesting geology in Australia. If you get the opportunity, watch the series "A Time Traveller's Guide to Australia", by Dr Richard Smith (not Dick ... ).

Thanks John. Perhaps it's because there's no active volcanoes that I was so unaware, although I remember some time ago, that some expert said we should be worried about apparently dormant volcanoes as they could could erupt as well .... but I am not "up" on the scientific data.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Thanks John. Perhaps it's because there's no active volcanoes that I was so unaware, although I remember some time ago, that some expert said we should be worried about apparently dormant volcanoes as they could could erupt as well .... but I am not "up" on the scientific data.
Rose, it is very edifying to read (e.g.) the Wikipedia article on Active super volcanoes, of which, there are currently at least six! Yellowstone is one, lookie here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

Enough to cause some contemplation about our 'benign' planet!

I don't know why - but I didn't know there is volcanoes in Australia!

Lovely sunstar, and f/11. what lens please? Thanks
Lots of dormant volcanoes are scattered across the volcanic plains of western Victoria, third largest such plain in the world IIRC.

That was taken with my small sensor compact Fujifilm X30, it has a beautiful, manual zoom lens 28-112mm f2-2.8. It's a fantastic general purpose travel camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom