Share: Rural Street Photography

Many early-settlement homesteads, such as Warrock in southwest Victoria, were large enough to have their own streets - Warrock had over 30 separate buildings.
https://flic.kr/p/28bxjPd
That's some settlement.
Just looked it up. Amazing.
Has its own website and Facebook.

I like your photo leading in through the gateway.
Interesting and different architecture to old houses here.

Photo opportunities galore 😊

That's some settlement.
Just looked it up. Amazing.
Has its own website and Facebook.

I like your photo leading in through the gateway.
Interesting and different architecture to old houses here.

Photo opportunities galore 😊
Warrock was different from most places here too, owing to many of the buildings having been built by a Scottish cabinet maker - there are finals on everything, including such humble buildings as the slaughterhouse! It's a fascinating place to visit, much like the convict-worked homesteads in Tasmania.

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sergei
The lovely golden light in that middle photo gives a great atmosphere. Which country were these taken? What population size of village? I'm curious, as Australian villages are pretty different to look at than in much older countries.
Thank you, its a little city Rakov in Belarus. Population size - about 2300 peoples.

Rakov churches

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Inspired by Melanie's post I took a detour on my trip to the Wairarapa today. I am very very tired, so almost didn't do it .... hence I have noticed the composition of these is pretty poor. Posting though, as some of these towns were thriving hubs for the rural communities they served many years ago. Then we got bigger, more powerful motor vehicles, and supermarkets. Already I'm aware of a rural general store in the Wairarapa where I grew up, that has closed. We used to play schoolgirl hockey out that way, and always the coach "shouted" us an ice block on the way home. Once we arrived to play hockey and there was sheep grazing, which were quickly moved. Will try get photos tomorrow. Anyway this is Takapau in Hawkes Bay. The last two are just views of the road between Takapau and Ormondville.

The red boxes are post boxes for local to collect their mail. Used to be sole responsibility of Post Offices which were placed all over NZ, and increasingly now part of other businesses. For example the local Pharmacy has the Post Office branch, and Lotto shop.

Deserted main st of Takapau.

Attachments

Last edited:

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is another small town, but not even a store or pub! Just an old renovated railway station used for self catering accommodation.

Attachments

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ormondville

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ormondville

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
More Ormondville

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ormondville. An old house, and the last I found interesting as it has an old tank stand with tank on it for drinking water collected off the roof, alongside a TV aerial. Such water tanks were very common in the fifities, and the house I second grew up in had such a tank. Most towns now have water supplied, but rural areas probably still need tanks.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for posting these. Very interesting.
Love the old carriages or whatever they are. Be nice to see them restored.
And the little station.
A one dog town ☺
Melanie's post reminded me that such towns are disappearing very quickly. I remember all sorts of little towns having these wonderful general stores where you could buy almost anything. In Jan 1970, or thereabouts, I lived and worked in Wellington NZ, and got about on a Honda 125cc motorbike. I set off on an adventure, and got as far as Wairoa in Hawkes Bay. Nowhere to stay, so went to one of these wonderful General Stores and came out with a little "pup" tent. A simple tent with no floor or fly. Anyway few days later, I ended up in Bay Of Islands and had a great holiday!

Melanie's post reminded me that such towns are disappearing very quickly. I remember all sorts of little towns having these wonderful general stores where you could buy almost anything. In Jan 1970, or thereabouts, I lived and worked in Wellington NZ, and got about on a Honda 125cc motorbike. I set off on an adventure, and got as far as Wairoa in Hawkes Bay. Nowhere to stay, so went to one of these wonderful General Stores and came out with a little "pup" tent. A simple tent with no floor or fly. Anyway few days later, I ended up in Bay Of Islands and had a great holiday!
That sounds like you had a wonderful adventure! I admire your youthful zest, which I've never had. Thanks for sharing these photos, NZ is one of Australia's most beautiful states...just kidding! It's a beautiful country, I do hope to see more of it in person in future.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That sounds like you had a wonderful adventure! I admire your youthful zest, which I've never had. Thanks for sharing these photos, NZ is one of Australia's most beautiful states...just kidding! It's a beautiful country, I do hope to see more of it in person in future.
Well - it way back in about 1970 .... I would not be so adventurous these days :). Though I have dreams of it, and bought a van, that I can sleep in the back of it by moving seats

Though - here I am, van parked outside, with me and dog in a motel unit! Seems the camping life is not so appealing as one ages :)
I am certain that's true - the people we bought our camper (made for the back of a traytop ute) from had moved to a caravan (travel trailer) with ensuite, as they are getting older. But then, my parents (in their 70s) still camp in a very small slide-on camper on the back of their ute, and they camp without any facilities, which is rougher than I care for.

mcgillro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am certain that's true - the people we bought our camper (made for the back of a traytop ute) from had moved to a caravan (travel trailer) with ensuite, as they are getting older. But then, my parents (in their 70s) still camp in a very small slide-on camper on the back of their ute, and they camp without any facilities, which is rougher than I care for.
Yep I've definitely become soft as I age ... I suppose part of it, that while I am still working I can afford to stay in a motel, so I do. It was interesting - last night I stayed at the same motel I always do in Masterton, because I can bring my dog. But because I booked late I was in their "basic" unit, which is perfectly okay. But I usually pay a little more and stay in the units with a kitchenette - I felt a bit constricted I have to say, which was a shock to me!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom