1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Share: Possums

Discussion in 'Nature' started by piggsy, Jan 9, 2016.

1. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Did some searches and couldn't find much in the way of possum or marsupial threads ever. Found a decent subject starter for one, I think.

This little guy has been a treat for the last few months and I was very happy to finally get some over a couple of nights recently. Unfortunately just about every single time other I've run into prime possum photography candidates I've totally failed in taking pictures, since they're nocturnal, and when I see 'em I usually have the LED ring light attached to a diopter in front of the lens and I'm unable to remove it and re-setup fast enough before they run (trying to hold the camera + flash bracket and big round LED seperately, then manual focus it... yeah it doesn't work well :D).

Luckily these two times I had the oly 60 on me instead -

pc260481th6usi2.

pc260490thn9sla.

pc260495thasshm.

pc260497thprs60.

pc260500th3ssbn.

p1090618thj5sy9.

p1090615thsnsvr.

p1090616thlnsb0.

Not sure if this is a true albino - from memory there's a more common-than-albinism variation in brushtails, where they are only de-pigmented in the fur, and still have pigment in the iris. If you think he's cute now you should have seen him when he was small enough to be carried around on mums back and used to run around on the ground doing 180s in midair trying to jump around and play with its food. Impossible to photograph at the time of course :p

Also, bonus round, the other kind of possum that visits from time to time, the ring tails -

xxpa260175thmzsoo.

the one time I've ever successfully done the de-mount everything and then take a photo of one at night with an MF lens thing.

• Like Like x 6
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Those are a quite a bit cuter than the (North & South) American opossums (which almost everyone here calls possums and look like giant rats).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    We zap 'em over here (spread TB & kill native birds) - self-resetting possum trap -

A12-Storyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You're in New Zealand?

That looks like it'd be useful for roof rats; I wonder if they sell those in the US (I can't find anyone selling them here).

Barry

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah.

These guys make self-resetting traps - I sponsor one in a friends (he runs a community nature project) attempt at clearing out a patch of native bush down in the South Island.

Goodnature: Home

Life an air-rifle - piston to the head. Perfect for unattended use around holiday homes or land that you don't normally get to. With normal traps you have to clear them out and reset them regularly. Not with these. Just replace the air canister and bait (they're working on pheremones to replace the bait) once in awhile.

Apparently the other forest/bush critters come and take the bodies away too. Instant protein recycling.

Pretty cool. Unfortunately much more expensive than the old fashioned type of trap but you get a lot more convenience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Interesting white fur possum!

Ironic that a thread dedicated to possums, also demonstrates traps on how to get rid of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, your options for removing them here are to hire a someone with a license to come and trap it, and then release it no more than 25 metres away on the same day. All of them are protected species.

Never had any problems with them here - other than the recent photos making it clear who's been nomming all my marigolds :D The tall crackerjack ones in the back yard I'd been writing off to grasshopper attacks but now I look at them they kinda look more like the aftermath of one of those illustrations of a huge prehistoric macropod pushing over a tree to eat it :D

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, they were confusing enough to be named after the american version on european discovery but I don't believe they're any more or less related than any other species between australia and the new world.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Possums are a nuisance invasive around here. They were introduced to WA State by homesick Tarheels. and since have spread all up and down the coast.

10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

p9280187thsmu3h.

p9280246thfaumi.

Had to rescue a baby ringtail in our front yard today. About the size of the palm of your hand, was being attacked by 6 different birds at once (currawongs, crows and mynah birds at once), all trying to eye gouge it and pull its tail to drop it out of a tall fig tree. I tried getting them off it with the hose but that didn't work and it eventually got pulled out by its tail and fell about 5m into a bougainvillea below it, and the birds were back to attacking it the moment it put it's head or tail a millimetre out of where it was. Had to round up a neighbour to help get it to safety and spent hours pruning spines off the tree and coaxing it out of where it was, neighbour from down the street eventually got it to attack a blanket and bundled it up into a box to take to a vet later.

• Like Like x 5
  11. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    Here's some representation of the North American variety. Forgive the crappy cell phone pictures. I considered getting out the E-M5, but the cat was a little too interested in Mr. Possum.

This guy was invasive only in the sense that he was in my living room. How he got there remains a matter of conjecture.

possum 2.JPG

possum 3.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  12. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Piggsy, I love the albino possum. :2thumbs:

OK, I can show a few of brushtail possums.
    Enjoying a little bit of Easter bun.
    M2153359-s.

She likes (puts up with) a pat, so long as she has something to eat.
    O2270525-cr-s.

And Mother brings her baby.
    MC301766-adj-s.

OC300317-s.

MC301738-adj2-cr-s.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And more.
    MA122386-cr-s.

OA129939-s.

M6108297-s.

Head shake!
    M6108302-s.
    BTW, yes she is blind in her right eye (on the left).

• Like Like x 4