1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Share: Interesting Food

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by sprinke, Apr 23, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I couldn't find a thread for anything like this so I thought I would start one. Let's see your interesting food!

I'll start with this shot I took today. Los Angeles is home to an interesting and tasty gourmet food truck movement. This is a Korean-inspired spicy tofu taco from one of the most famous of trucks, the Kogi BBQ Truck. Taken with GH2 and 20mm 1.7 lens, ISO 160, f/1.8.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/debit72/5644829529/" title="Kogi BBQ Tofu Taco by debit72, on Flickr"> 5644829529_eb579f8df1_z. "640" height="640" alt="Kogi BBQ Tofu Taco"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  2. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Found this gem in Taiwan. Sushi rice (toasted with a naked flame) Kobe beef slices, grilled cheese and onion. Yum.

20mm Panasonic on a GF1.

1236022459_nLhBU-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Also from Taiwan, not taken with an m4/3s though.

[​IMG]

Some kind of soup. Don't remember what was in it, but that's a dried lotus flower on top.

• Like Like x 2
  4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, this was probably the most exotic meal I've photographed with my GF1. The camera was set at ISO 160 and the exposure was 1/30 sec at f/1.7 using the 20mm Panasonic prime.

We were in Sudbury, Ontario and went to one of the local bistros where they served this dish, which they named "Go Wild". It's composed of 2 oz. medallions of Ontario pork, AAA Alberta beef, locally raised venison, Chelmsford raised elk and Australian kangaroo served on a Mongolian salt block, which was heated to 500 degrees fahrenheit so the meat would continue to cook while on the dinner table. The dish was also served with a wine fondue and they even threw in a vegetable. My apologies to the vegetarians out there, but this one's for carnivores only!

Go_Wild.

P.S. The kangaroo was my favourite (it actually makes beef tenderloin seem tough), but I'm not sure whether its considered by Aussies to be something akin to roadkill. I'd be curious to know. :rofl:

• Like Like x 4
  5. k4t

k4t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Can't speak for all Aussies but I'm a big fan of 'roo. It has to be cooked carefully though - very lean so best rare - med rare.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Not at all. It's not something many of us would buy for dinner (beef, lamb & chicken are the staples) but a good steakhouse will definitely have kangaroo on the menu, and it'll usually be fairly popular.

• Like Like x 1
  7. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the info on the 'roo. This restaurant recommended that all the meats be ordered one notch below the way you like it cooked because of the hot Mongolian salt block. I like most things medium rare, so I ordered the kangaroo rare, which they told me was a good move.

I really liked it, so I'm planning an Aussie themed party this summer featuring kangaroo and shrimps done up on the barbie with some nice shiraz's by Two Hands winery. Anybody have any good BBQ recipes for kangaroo?

8. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    mmm, I'm hungry now.