1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Share: Historic Route 66 pics

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by ToxicTabasco, Sep 29, 2018.

1. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    I could not find any threads on the Route 66. Nevertheless, Route 66 still exists in various parts of the USA. So far I've been to various location in California and Arizona.

Route 66 goes from Illinois through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and ends in Santa Monica California.

Would be nice to have a thread with photos from what is left of the entire Route. And, photos of the Route that no longer exists.

Lets start backwards from California going east:

Oro Grande. When you leave Victorville North on D Street, it turns into "National Trails Hwy" AKA Route 66 at this area. This little town has industry, farming, a major cargo airport, and prep schools, about a mile from this spot.
    Oro Grande 66.
    DC-G9    LUMIX G VARIO 12-35/F2.8II    19mm    f/11.0    1/400s    ISO 100

Adelanto CA. Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch. You can find this place along Route 66 or what is now called National Trails Highway, between Victorville and Barstow. If you're lucky you can meet Elmer who is the son of the original owner of this property.

Barstow CA. Route 66 Hotel, every state along the Route 66 has or had one. Barstow is a major train depot for commerce from the West coast to everywhere in the US. It's one of the larger towns along the Route 66. Main street is where the old history is at.
    13968555412_8b2678ecb8_c. Route 66 Motel 2014 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Yermo CA, Original Del Taco. This is where it all started for Del Taco. And, it had several owners over the decades, and still in operation. If you've ever eaten a burger and fries with milk shake from the 1960 through the early 1980s, this place still has that flavor. Yermo has a lot of relics and open businesses of Route 66 past. And Dagget is also nearby.
    30847108564_5f4ff990be_c. Original Del Taco by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Amboy CA, Roy's Motel and gas station. Still open for gas and gift shop. No food, no lodging. They are in the process of restoring the motel area. Amboy is a remote desert business on the Route 66. 30 miles from Ludlow, , and 45 miles from Fenner. And these don't open 24hrs. The nearest 24hr gas is in Twentynine Palms about 50 miles out of the way south.
    37989856044_172bb30324_c. Roy Crowl's Amboy Legacy by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Needles CA. A photo of their town's museum of Route 66. This is a small town that services the BNSF rail lines. Services for food, dining, autos, lodging, etc...
    31688629275_6079f5cb7a_c. Needles Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Oatman AZ. This town thrives on visitors and has a lot of gift shops, and diners. No fuel or grocery stores, no lodging. But they have a wild west show daily at noon, and a lot of mining relics from the past as well. Most notable are the wild burros left over from the 1930's mining days.

Cool Springs AZ, found along the byway of Route 66 between Oatman and Kingman. A one family town with one gift shop is all that is left of this area. If you take this drive, make sure you have enough fuel. The road is steep, narrow, and slow moving with tight turns, speeds at 15 mph for most of the journey.
    30917366633_e8449e5d3d_c. Cool Springs Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Kingman AZ. You'll find a very well stocked museum of Route 66 artifacts, and several video presentations of the history of Route 66 in there town. Next door is the Mojave Museum. They also have a museum train station, and other historic motels that are open for business along the Route 66. Kingman is a large city on Route 66, and the next large city on the route is Flagstaff.
    31542470332_198b1b7903_c. Kingman Route 66 Museum by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Hackberry AZ. As you go West, you'll run into this tiny town of Hackberry. A small town with trains that pass through on a regular basis. There is one historic establishment still in business. This gas station is a historic diner and gift shop not a fuel station with services.
    44258046764_1e734d933b_c. Hackberry Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Truxton AZ. Further up the road from Hackberry is this town. It also resides along the commercial train line, but has a gas station and auto repair.
    38765471570_36b2f9475a_c. Truxton Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Peach Springs AZ. Next down the road is Peach Springs. A very small modern town with schools and businesses. This retired gas station is one of the few relics left from the old Route 66.
    41203065182_94a653a1a0_c. Peach Spring R66-4_stitch by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Seligman AZ. Here is a town that preserved a lot of the original establishments of the old Route 66. Traveling through here on any sunset you'll find a lot of people taking photos. And once night sets in, break out the tripods as there is a lot of great photo opps.
    27386918728_f0d2ec3979_c. Seligman Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Ash Fork AZ. Next up is this little town. A few diners, a few gift shops, and a gas station is all that remains of the original Route 66. New establishments took over some of original shops and stores. But the houses look to be of the era.
    19580506285_f77a62646e_c. Ash Fork AZ Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

Williams AZ. If you've been to the Grand Canyon, you may have seen this place. It's at a junction between CA, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon. There are many services and diners along this stretch of Route 66.
    39865050144_0b4efabced_c. Williams AZ Route 66 by ToxicTabasco, on Flickr

The next town on Route 66 heading East is Flagstaff. I forgot to take photos while passing through. Mainly due to the heavy traffic. Flagstaff is a huge city with colleges, Wallmarts, and everything any other big city would have. The only difference is they have a historic area where Route 66 goes right through it.

Thus, this has been pics from my short journey on Rout 66. If you have pics of the Mother Road, please post them. Thanks for viewing and participating.

I'll update this with more pics in the future. Thanks for taking the time to view.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 31
    • Like Like x 24
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    Americana overload ... love it. A great set of shots, especially the motel night shot.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I think you mean east? Nice idea for a thread. It may be tough to keep things in order as others post.

4. ToxicTabasco

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    You're absolutely correct the order will be mixed. And thank you greatly for catching that, I'll make the edit.

5. ADemuth

ADemuth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2017
    Koror, Palau
    My parents did some of the 66 in their '63 Falcon some years ago, they made it sound pretty lame. Your photos indicate otherwise (to be fair, I'm not sure my parents understand vacations) What a road trip!

I love the Cool Springs composition, and there's something haunting about the Peach Springs shot that I like. Thanks for sharing!

6. I really live that night shot with all the lights.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ToxicTabasco

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Thank you. Yes, Cool Springs has a strange vibe to it, it's very isolated.

8. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks for bringing back some great memories!! At the end of our freshman year in college (June 1964), my roommate and I hitchhiked the entire length of Route 66 from Chicago to our homes in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. I'll never forget the evening-night-and-morning we spent trying to get from Joplin, MO to Vinita, OK. After 16 hours standing in the same spot east of Joplin, a long-haul trucker picked us up. First thing he said to us was "I normally don't pick up hitchhikers, but I dearly need some company and conversation to keep me awake!" Most frightening 90 minutes of my life!

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I did a road trip along Route 66 from Chicago to LA in 2012, sadly that was before my µ43 days.
    This is from the end of my tour, it's not actually from Route 66 but it shows an enabler for Route 66.
    DSCN0985_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    32mm    f/5.6    1/342s    ISO 64

Yes, I know it is not a great picture, but I like the subject in the context of Route 66.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BosseBe

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Here are some pictures that is actually directly Route 66 related, AFAIK all the pictures show a piece of Route 66. I have to apologize for the pictures not being µ43.
    Since I started from Chicago on my trip they will be in the order from east to west.
    First an old bridge over the Mississippi river.
    DSCN0713_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    6mm    f/3.5    1/573s    ISO 64

Another old bridge. (Sorry but my memory isn't too good.)
    DSCN0760_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    8mm    f/4.0    1/589s    ISO 64

Route 66 Midpoint.
    DSCN0786_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    6mm    f/3.5    1/916s    ISO 64

Route 66 Midpoint.
    DSCN0787_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    6mm    f/3.5    1/264s    ISO 64

Abandoned Gas station.
    DSCN0789_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    9mm    f/4.4    1/404s    ISO 64

No, I did not stay here!
    DSCN0791_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    6mm    f/3.5    1/998s    ISO 64

Part of original Route 66.
    DSCN0793_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    17mm    f/5.0    1/516s    ISO 64

Route 66 on the Highway.
    DSCN0795_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    11mm    f/4.6    1/570s    ISO 64

Another piece of old Route 66.
    DSCN0817_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    17mm    f/5.0    1/487s    ISO 64

Continental Divide.
    DSCN0818_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    32mm    f/5.6    1/801s    ISO 64

Painted desert, AZ.
    DSCN0854_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    32mm    f/5.6    1/229s    ISO 64

Petrified Forrest, AZ.
    DSCN0858_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    32mm    f/5.6    1/947s    ISO 64

Ruins on Route 66.
    DSCN0958_DxO_Web.
    COOLPIX S560    ---    14mm    f/4.8    1/1157s    ISO 64

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have toured Route 66 numerous times. The first few times were in one of my classic Chevy's along with about 1000 other vintage cars. During those tours many of the sleepy towns such as Seligman come to life to cater to the visitors. A few years later my lady and I toured the road a few times by motorcycle. Despite the abandonment of much of the route there are numerous relics along the old right of way that can still be photographed. The longest stretch of Route 66 that is still in service is the segment in Arizona from Ash Fork west to the California border. I always enjoy seeing how others photograph these areas and their perspective on the Mother Road. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. I am mildly obsessed with Lufkin machinist tools, I wonder if this is the same Lufkin?

13. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    That Barstow, CApic is amazing. Great job.

14. ToxicTabasco

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Thanks for sharing valuable information on the Route. It's IME worth the few extra miles to travel on that stretch in AZ. The road is well maintained and the drive is laid back relaxing. I did enjoy it, and hope to explore the New Mexico and Texas Routs soon.

15. ToxicTabasco

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Thanks for sharing your photos. I see some from Texas, Arizona, are the others from near Chicago?

16. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Those night shots are way cool man.
    Like, way cool!
    I would love to take a shot like that... I’d be bursting with pride!

17. rfaucher

rfaucher Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Fantastic photos. It brings back memories of many road trips I've made on Route 66 over the years. Nice to see you taking such great photos at night and low light as well.

18. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I just had to post this. We would listen to it as we drove the route. Just imagine 1000 classic cars, mostly pre 1970's on that road you toured.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I posted a few B&W images about a year ago on Route 66. Take your time and remember keep gassed up as the distance between gas stations can be a long distance. Also carry water when you are out in the desert - always. Great place for snakes and bugs at night:) 

Wish I had had a 1960 corvette for the driver (remember the TV show Route 66?).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BosseBe

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The first one is the Chain of Rocks Bridge in St Louis and the the rest of them are in chronological order and taken after that, going west. So no pictures from nearer Chicago. I'll look through my pictures and see if I have anything more to share.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.