Share Hikes, Treks, and Trails

kimo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
kimo
From forest walks to mountain treks, share the natural places that you visit. Foot power only please!

I have seen threads for mountains, national parks, road and tracks, and running, but nothing dedicated to a long walks in the woods. Since the m4/3 system is gaining popularity with hikers and trekkers, I thought this could be a way to show the places and trails that you hike. These could be the photos that you didn't share in the sunrise, mountains, or wildflowers threads, or if you didn't want to start a new thread. Including story and captions is up to you.

It would be nice to know the name of the trail or place you went. And photos from any camera or phone are welcome, just tell the camera model if not m4/3.

“In scenery you see more than you can absorb. In wilderness you absorb more than you can see.” —Tom Detrich

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

kimo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
kimo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will start with a 5 mile hike to the top of Mount Olympus in the Ko'olau Mountains near Honolulu. All photos from E-M1.1 and 12-40mm PRO.

The trail starts at Wa'ahila Ridge State Park and follows a narrow ridge to the summit at 2,486 feet.

The trail passes above historic Manoa Valley. Daily rainfall in this valley made it a prime agriculture area early on. Many crops were grown here by the Hawaiians and, in the 1800’s, it was the site of the Islands’ first sugarcane and coffee plantations.

Our destination, Mount Olympus, is the highpoint on the left.

Trailside flora.

Wildflowers along the trail.

The trail snakes through a lush landscape.

The local trail and mountain club installed fixed ropes to help in steep and slippery sections.

We reach the summit and touch clouds. The Island's verdant windward side stretches out to the west.

The steep and slippery descent.

The long catwalk in the sky.

A closer view of Diamond Head and Waikiki hotels.

Honolulu and Manoa Valley seen on our descent.

Last edited:
Real Name
Alan Grant
Good idea for a thread. I have been posting this kind of photo to "roads and tracks" but I like the idea of a thread specifically for walking/hiking/trekking.

These photos were taken while walking the Avonmore Way in County Wicklow, Ireland. The trail links the villages of Laragh and Rathdrum in the eastern foothills of the Wicklow Mountains, via the valley of the Avonmore River. It passes the hamlet of Clara (just a church and an old rural school building) and the Clara Value Nature Reserve. This has an unusually large concentration of deciduous woodland by Irish standards so autumn is a good to time to visit.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Walking along the boardwalk at Cranberry Glades in the eastern highlands of WV.

Real Name
Alan Grant
Some photos taken while hiking in the Rugova Valley / Rugova Gorge in Kosovo. Although I was just on a one-day hike, some of these trails form part of the longer Peaks of the Balkans circuit through Kosovo, Montenegro, and Albania.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
A few shots of the Diamond Head Crater hike in Honolulu. This is a deceptively easy looking hike, but this past Sunday, six people had to be rescued of which three had to be lifted out by helicopter, due to overheating and dehydration. Still, the view is well worth the effort. Just be prepared and take enough water.

Most shot with EM1 and Oly 9-18.

The trail winds up the side of the crater.

Good thing I was going down this 99 step stairway, not up! There's another 76 step stairway and a tunnel too.

But, what a view! Good spot for a panorama.

East side of Waikiki. Kapiolani Park and the Waikiki beachfront to the right. Waianae mountains in the distance.

View of Waikiki. Notice the bunker? The Army had bunkers and observation posts up here to spot targets for Battery Randolph, the big artillery battery where the Hawaii Army Museum is now in the Ft. DeRussy area of Waikiki.

Real Name
Alan Grant
Another set from County Wicklow in Ireland. This is the Bray to Greystones Cliff Walk, a popular and fairly easy trail that mainly follows the railway.

kimo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
kimo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea for a thread. I have been posting this kind of photo to "roads and tracks" but I like the idea of a thread specifically for walking/hiking/trekking.
I was hoping a hiking thread would work out. It has had a nice start. Happy to see some great photos of neat places. Thanks for sharing, everyone.

If you see a lion...
If you see a lion, you're lucky. I know avid long-time hikers who have not seen one. In Colorado I encountered a lion crouched in tall grass about 20 feet off the trail. My fiance has encountered two up close. The animals have been curious but not aggressive. Wish I had eyes on the back of my head lol.

A few shots of the Diamond Head Crater hike in Honolulu. This is a deceptively easy looking hike, but this past Sunday, six people had to be rescued of which three had to be lifted out by helicopter, due to overheating and dehydration. Still, the view is well worth the effort. Just be prepared and take enough water.

The Army had bunkers and observation posts up here to spot targets...
Diamond Head is no joke. Water is key. That parking lot food truck with the smoothies hit the spot after. Those bunkers are quite the attraction on Oahu. There are multiple trails across the island that lead to similar bunkers. Just yesterday we hiked up the Sunset Pillbox trail to the bunker and took in the north shore views. Pix from my pixel 2 phone.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
to Lost Valley

Real Name
Alan Grant
Great Sugarloaf, County Wicklow, Ireland, on a May evening.

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
Ridge Trail at Andrew Molera State Park, Big Sur

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
A 9.4 miles (out&back) Tomales Point Trail at Point Reyes National Seashore

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Yang
Cataract/Old Mine Trail at Mt. Tamalpais

iPhone 8+ pano shot

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Stone Wayfarers Cross - L'Holme, France - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-22 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

This wayfarer's or wayside cross marked our approach to the hamlet of L'Holme. Whilst I initially thought that these crosses where of religious significance this may not always be the case. I did notice but that we saw a lot less of them in the protestant part of our walk so the religious aspect may be the dominate reason in this part of France.

Day 1 of 12 - Le Puy-en-Velay to Le Monastier-sur-Gazeille: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France

SteveK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
A nice hike out of St. Elmo, Colorado.
At the trail head.

And at the top (with 8mm SLR Magic)

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Back to Single Track - Mt Cooke - Monadnocks National Park by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

At last we departed the Powerline Road and rejoined the Bibbulmun Track proper as it commenced its ascent of the southern face of Mt Cooke in the Monadnocks National Park.

We were walking the park as part of Ibu Anne’s training to complete the Oxfam Trailwalker 50km which she ticked off in early October 2018.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom