Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Barrie, lots of patience is needed. Typically I have learnt that dragonfly will fly off when you get too near. I take this opportunity when they fly off to quickly get nearer, about 2 feet away from their last perch and stay very still. Generally they will return to this same perch. If not tough, move on to look for another friendly dragonfly.
If there are lots of dragonfly around by the stream, I will pick my own little stick and stick it into the ground where I can get the best lighting & background and sit about 2 feet away and wait. When they get use to me, I will inch up on them until I am about 9 inches - my min working distance of the lens to get a full frame.
Finally pick on the young dragonfly becos they are more friendly. For certain specie the above will not work - they stay miles away from us humans.
Yes, a friend actually trained this particular dragonfly and it allows us to touch his wings.
Hope that your dragonfly behaves the same over there!
Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you once again for dropping by.

cheers

ric

Hi ricseet, you'll have to teach them to behave and then you can get in closer with the camera :biggrin:

Barrie

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
I tend to regard myself as a naturalist first and a photographer second. In this country there are certain cooler days when they are less active, but of course more difficult to find. Males usually set up territory and patrol it constantly, when they are behaving like that close approach is out of the question. When freshly emerged from the larva they tend to spend their time away from the breeding sites and rest more whilst their wings harden off, then they can be approached more easily. Also the females tend to rest for a day or two between matings and bouts of egg laying and again they can be more closely approached when they are in that stage. It's very much a matter of knowing your subject, but that maxim applies to all photographic genres I would suggest.

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tend to regard myself as a naturalist first and a photographer second. In this country there are certain cooler days when they are less active, but of course more difficult to find. Males usually set up territory and patrol it constantly, when they are behaving like that close approach is out of the question. When freshly emerged from the larva they tend to spend their time away from the breeding sites and rest more whilst their wings harden off, then they can be approached more easily. Also the females tend to rest for a day or two between matings and bouts of egg laying and again they can be more closely approached when they are in that stage. It's very much a matter of knowing your subject, but that maxim applies to all photographic genres I would suggest.

Barrie

Hi Barrie, I am neither. I took this hobby to stay healthy when I go out for my morning walks --- I take pics. So far it has worked well for me.

Looks like our dragonflies behaves differently.

cheers

ric

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
Wow, I wish we had green lizards that ate their meal and stared at the camera, great set of photographs with the major focus being on the eye of the lizard, in the right place at the right time with the right camera and lens, brilliant.
I would indeed expect your dragonflies to behave differently, in this country they have to be able to withstand cooler conditions which means that to conserve energy on those cooler days they will sit around more. If I was to try and photograph such things in Singapore I would have to learn new tricks.

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for viewing and your kind coemnts. Yes it is all about being at the right place at the right time!
if you are ever coming to this part of the world please let me know and we can go shoot dragonflies together.
Oh, I have sold off the G1/45-200 and missed that long reach. I am now banging that the 100-300 will be better.

cheers and have a nice day

ric

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks I will add my Flickr site to my postings.
Other than dragonflies there are birds, butterflies, insects, spiders to shoot. Landscape here is so so. Hope to see you on of these days.

ric

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are absolutely fantastic, Ric. I don't remember seeing them on Flickr.

One of those lucky moments - I was walking looking for birds to shot and heard the noise of leaves and turned around and saw this lizard which just caught the playing mantis.
Shot this at a local Nature Reserves with the G1/45-200 combo.

3190714635_4bff7156a1_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"768" height="1024" alt="Green Lizard" /></a>[/img]

3191694884_9db8c86483_b.jpg

3356660134_26f20ffb2a_b.jpg

Thanks for viewing

ric

Flickr: ric seet's Photostream

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Isabel, thank you and yes -- I lifted them from Flicikr.
I see you have got your EPL1 with the 20mm. Great stuff!

Thanks fro dropping by.

cheers

ric

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks Isabel, and appreciate your update on the EPL1. Your cats are going to love you even more!

cheers

ric

That beautiful creature's body reminded me of a slice of smoked salmon on six legs!

Great shot, Ric! Nice to see you here. Just ordered an E-PL1

jalex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jane
Those are amazing!

Hi Ric,
Those are the most amazing shots of that lizard with the mantis in his mouth! How did I miss those on flickr?? They really are some amazing work.
Jane

Latest threads

Top Bottom