Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
48558348077_11c5156d19_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Common Sailor – Kemenuh Butterfly Park, Bali, Indonesia by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

I not 100% sure but this butterfly does appear to be a Common Sailor [Neptis hylas].

We spent a fair bit of time exploring the Kemenuh Butterfly Park in Bali, Indonesia. I can highly recommend it if you are in Bali and in the Ubud area.

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
A zebra swallowtail on butterfly milkweed.

_8171823_DxOdcLM.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Some fun with a grasshopper in my kitchen today.

Unharmed by his experience and now back with his mates in my garden.

grasshopper2.jpg

grasshopper.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Same plant, outdoors with what looks like a big hairy hoverfly on it. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows what it really is.

bighoverfly.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Same plant, outdoors with what looks like a big hairy hoverfly on it. Feel free to correct me if anyone knows what it really is.

View attachment 769254
I don't know for sure what it is, but I suspect that it is a bee. And I think your previous post shows a katydid (they have very long antennae, grasshoppers have short ones as I understand it). All subject to correction.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
That's not a gropper, it's a bushcricket - something much cooler, note the long antennae. A female Oak Bushcricket, she's a carnivore, and a nice find in a garden.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/oak-bush-cricket

edit :And as relic mentions, they are called katydids on other countries.

Thank you. She (he really) was actually making her (his really) way across the bedroom ceiling. We live on the edge of Sutton Park which is ringed by large oak trees. We get them every year. Thank you very much for the link.

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I don't know for sure what it is, but I suspect that it is a bee. And I think your previous post shows a katydid (they have very long antennae, grasshoppers have short ones as I understand it). All subject to correction.

That's what it wants you to think :) I've looked at my other pictures and I believe I have a Bumblebee Mimic Hoverfly. https://www.biodiversityireland.ie/...ds/Hoverflies-that-mimic-bumblebees-20131.pdf

There were four of them. I'll post a picture from a different angle if I can find one which is even remotely in focus.

relic

Hobbyist
That's what it wants you to think :) I've looked at my other pictures and I believe I have a Bumblebee Mimic Hoverfly. https://www.biodiversityireland.ie/...ds/Hoverflies-that-mimic-bumblebees-20131.pdf

There were four of them. I'll post a picture from a different angle if I can find one which is even remotely in focus.
Nature is amazing. Thank you very much for the link to the PDF file! Now I have to look back at my "bee" images and try to figure out if they were bees or bee-mimicking-hoverflies :)

Real Name
Steve
I didn't realize there was a specific thread for dragonflies, this is x posted in the Oly 60mm macro showcase thread, but it should probably live here

P8180002a 2k.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Nature is amazing. Thank you very much for the link to the PDF file! Now I have to look back at my "bee" images and try to figure out if they were bees or bee-mimicking-hoverflies :)

Found one. Just don't stand too close to your monitor - there's a bit of movement in it (it was windy). It has hairy 'melon slice shape' sections running vertically in each eye.

hoverbee.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Some kind of wasp on butterfly milkweed flowers,

_8171814_DxOdcL.jpg

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
48575315577_cf2823e175_o.jpg

Swift Peacock Swallowtail #01 – Kemenuh Butterfly Park, Bali, Indonesia by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

One of the prettier, in my view, butterflies at the Kemenuh Butterfly Park, a Swift Peacock Swallowtail (Papilio peranthus).

We spent a fair bit of time exploring the Kemenuh Butterfly Park in Bali, Indonesia. I can highly recommend it if you are in Bali and in the Ubud area.

relic

Hobbyist
Happenstance not skill :)

_8181898_DxOdcLM.jpg

Motmot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dan Miller
Blue Dashers

P8190144.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom