Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
From August, 2014.

_8147410_DxOdcLM.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lens was Olympus 12-50mm (macro setting).

Real Name
Ken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark

DickB

Mu-43 Rookie
Here's one I had never seen or heard of until it landed right in front of me a couple of days ago. It's less than an inch long. After much Googling I found that it's a Scorpion Fly, which makes sense if you look at its body, although you can't see the stinger in this photo. Aren't those wings something? And how about that proboscis?

Real Name
Ken
Here's one I had never seen or heard of until it landed right in front of me a couple of days ago. It's less than an inch long. After much Googling I found that it's a Scorpion Fly, which makes sense if you look at its body, although you can't see the stinger in this photo. Aren't those wings something? And how about that proboscis?

View attachment 854389
Dickb --great color-----hang me on the wall!!!!
Ken

Real Name
Ken
Backyard posers

Real Name
Ken

Real Name
Ken

DickB

Mu-43 Rookie
Ken,
I like your dragonflies a lot. Very interesting to see those with the Z6 and the EM1+60 macro together like this. Of course, being an m43 user I like the EM1s better. :whistling: Well not really, they're both excellent. How close do you have to get with the 60 macro, or are they just cropped a lot? I'm used to standing quite a distance away using my PL 100-400, mainly because the 'flies are so skittish.

Real Name
Ken
Ken,
I like your dragonflies a lot. Very interesting to see those with the Z6 and the EM1+60 macro together like this. Of course, being an m43 user I like the EM1s better. :whistling: Well not really, they're both excellent. How close do you have to get with the 60 macro, or are they just cropped a lot? I'm used to standing quite a distance away using my PL 100-400, mainly because the 'flies are so skittish.
DickB----dragons shot with my oly 60mm at 6 to 10 inches. I used a tripod also. Stupid me had oly set on cloudy, I also see I was clicking away at f 2.8---normally should have been f/8 --f/10. Need to get my act together. The z6 pix are all handheld at a 4 to 6 foot distance. I screw around with a flash, sometimes with better results. The z6 are cropped. I use faststone imaging for PP-----not fancy but works. I find these little guy not to skittish --they fly off then they are back in 10 seconds. I really find using the z6 , 300mm much easier to manage----results to the Oly are pretty similar, just a matter of taste. Cropping on the z6 shooting at ff really helps.

Ken

DickB

Mu-43 Rookie
DickB----dragons shot with my oly 60mm at 6 to 10 inches. I used a tripod also. Stupid me had oly set on cloudy, I also see I was clicking away at f 2.8---normally should have been f/8 --f/10. Need to get my act together. The z6 pix are all handheld at a 4 to 6 foot distance. I screw around with a flash, sometimes with better results. The z6 are cropped. I use faststone imaging for PP-----not fancy but works. I find these little guy not to skittish --they fly off then they are back in 10 seconds. I really find using the z6 , 300mm much easier to manage----results to the Oly are pretty similar, just a matter of taste. Cropping on the z6 shooting at ff really helps.

Ken
OK, thanks for the info. Those Florida dragonflies must be tamer than the ones here in Texas. 🙂

Gulf Frittilary in the yard.

Real Name
Ken
OK, thanks for the info. Those Florida dragonflies must be tamer than the ones here in Texas. 🙂
These guys land on my finger and look around like they belong there. Trying to get a selfie with one on my nose.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom