Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I wonder why it got so much smaller, anyone knows ?
They got smaller, but some got a lot smaller than others -

1590471048124.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and neither of the theories I've seen (oxygen regulation problems with larval stages of insects at high oxygen concentrations, feathered birds filling the niche back faster after the last big change in atmospheric conditions and the last major extinction) really seem to adequately explain it entirely for me. Odonata have spectacular abilities to regulate oxygen and you see examples that can live on damp leaves to constantly aerated waterfall streams to anoxic mangrove mud, they have a pretty sophisticated and variable set of lungs. And given that the largest ones live in some extremely bird-rich environments I'm not sure that fully explains it either.

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
EM1.2 with PL100-400mm

Real Name
Roddy
John speaks the truth. Heat does indeed thing things bigger.

Last time I was in Senegal, for example, the mosquitos were so big they would take the door off its hinges and rip your mosquito netting to shreds. The ones here in France, however, I can kill with my bare hands.

Most of the time.

Also, the hippos are bigger in Africa than they are here. I can never find any in my garden :(

Real Name
Roddy
Ha, Roddy.

In Queensland, the mosquitoes hunt in packs of three - two of them hold you down, the other one sucks you dry ... :laugh1:
Ha! There's an island in the Bahamas called Rum Cay. I was storm-bound there once twenty years ago and got boat-sick after a few days, and against the advice of the locals, we all decided to walk to a beach some way away from the mooring. Out in the open, in bright midday sun, the crew and I were savaged by mosquitos so large and ferocious they were eating us through our clothing, even as we beat each others' backs with hats and shoes to kill them. It was like being attacked by a small swarm of Chinook helicopters, so loud was the noise and the screaming. We covered the mile or so back to the boat at a sprint, gratefully leaving the unfit far behind as a distraction. The welts from their bites took weeks to disappear.

I have never, ever, anywhere else in the world, seen mosquitos like it. Not in Australia, NZ, Africa, all of my travels through the Caribbean or anywhere else. They were quite simply GIANTS. I have since wondered whether they are endemic to the island.

Real Name
Roddy
Ouch!

The Scotch greys in Queensland are/were about an inch long. Geez they were vicious.

As I have cardiac problems, I have to be careful about mozzie bites. Too easy to get endocarditis from the little mongrels we have here in Melbourne.
Ouch - they seem the same sort of size, then, John. Nasty things when they start carrying vectors. Nile disease is the latest problem here from European carriers, and apparently in the southern part of the Mediterranean zone there have recently been cases of Dengue, too. Arrgh.

Stay safe!

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Hover fly with Oly 40-150 f4-5.6 R + Raynox dcr-150

Real Name
Ken

Real Name
Ken

Real Name
Ken
Pond dweller

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
Not too many butterflies in Missouri yet, but this red spotted purple stopped by recently to say hello.

Panasonic G9, kit 12-60 and small ext tube.

Thrips are tiny ~1mm long insects that feed on plants. They can be found on almost any flower if you look close enough. An interesting note: Thrips is both the singular and plural form of the word. You can have one thrips or you can have many thrips.

Not that good of an image, but you can see the tiny thrips in the disc flowers of this daisy.

49948434766_f5f59538d6_o.jpg
Leica Macro-Elmar 100 4 (bellows)

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
I went bug hunting again in the garden. This beetle was 2mm in length at the most. Photos taken with my Panagor 90mm macro lens @1:1 + Raynox 150 handheld.

_5291346_DxO.jpg
_5291349_DxO.jpg
_5291348_DxO.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom