Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

Edit: This was with new to me FL-600R and diffuser made from Pringles can. The Amazon Alkaline batteries (brand new) died mid-way in probably 1 hour, netting me just this one good photo.

P8200158_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Clearwing moth (hummingbird moth?); lantana flowers.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
Ha
ngin around

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
An ichnuemon wasp on fennel in the garden today. We don't see a lot of ichnuemons each summer as we don't have too many of the right plants for them, so it was a pleasure to get a decent photo of one. This is a Gasteruption species, perhaps jaculator. They're quite small, maybe an inch in length, and nearly impossible to identify when they're flying - they're like fragile invisible ripples of shadow. That's not a sting, by the way - that's the ovipositor which they'll drill down into wood or galls in search of someone else's eggs to lay their own on. It's a cut-throat business!

G6 + P30mm macro
P8190061_HDR3.jpeg

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
An ichnuemon wasp on fennel in the garden today. We don't see a lot of ichnuemons each summer as we don't have too many of the right plants for them, so it was a pleasure to get a decent photo of one. This is a Gasteruption species, perhaps jaculator. They're quite small, maybe an inch in length, and nearly impossible to identify when they're flying - they're like fragile invisible ripples of shadow. That's not a sting, by the way - that's the ovipositor which they'll drill down into wood or galls in search of someone else's eggs to lay their own on. It's a cut-throat business!

G6 + P30mm macroView attachment 770561
Roddy did ya use a flash on this terrific shot. Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!
Ken

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
Roddy did ya use a flash on this terrific shot. Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!
Ken
Hi Ken! Thanks for the compliment - and no, I did not use a flash. In fact, I do not even own one, but do occasionally use an LED light if needed. This picture is actually a heavy crop (some insects do not like the camera so close and this lady was no exception) and to be truthful, if I'd had a flash & diffuser rig I'd have been even further away; I'd never have got near her between the stems of fennel. One day I'll get myself a different lens and make life easier, :D

Real Name
Ken
Hi Ken! Thanks for the compliment - and no, I did not use a flash. In fact, I do not even own one, but do occasionally use an LED light if needed. This picture is actually a heavy crop (some insects do not like the camera so close and this lady was no exception) and to be truthful, if I'd had a flash & diffuser rig I'd have been even further away; I'd never have got near her between the stems of fennel. One day I'll get myself a different lens and make life easier, :D
Roddy----your work is excellent----no need to upgrade ya gear. Great work

Ken

lrlebron

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Luis R. Lebron
Red Velvet Ant (Actually a female wasp)

Macroramphosis

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roddy
@Ken C

Well, you may think so (and thank you for your very kind words :inlove:), but after an hour this afternoon of trying to get another shot of one of these critturs this afternoon, and knocking them off their perch at every opportunity, I'm about ready to find an Oly 60. I am fed up with the working distance of the P30. It's a great lens but def time to find a longer focal range.

Real Name
Ken
@Ken C

Well, you may think so (and thank you for your very kind words :inlove:), but after an hour this afternoon of trying to get another shot of one of these critturs this afternoon, and knocking them off their perch at every opportunity, I'm about ready to find an Oly 60. I am fed up with the working distance of the P30. It's a great lens but def time to find a longer focal range.
Roddy---that 60mm oly is one sweet macro lens.

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Sergei

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom