Share Dragonfly & Butterfly & Insects

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ricseet, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    ... What does it smell like?

3. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Every, no special smell! Thanks fr viewing.

cheers

ric

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi ricseet, you'll have to teach them to behave and then you can get in closer with the camera :biggrin:

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  5. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Barrie, lots of patience is needed. Typically I have learnt that dragonfly will fly off when you get too near. I take this opportunity when they fly off to quickly get nearer, about 2 feet away from their last perch and stay very still. Generally they will return to this same perch. If not tough, move on to look for another friendly dragonfly.
    If there are lots of dragonfly around by the stream, I will pick my own little stick and stick it into the ground where I can get the best lighting & background and sit about 2 feet away and wait. When they get use to me, I will inch up on them until I am about 9 inches - my min working distance of the lens to get a full frame.
    Finally pick on the young dragonfly becos they are more friendly. For certain specie the above will not work - they stay miles away from us humans.
    Yes, a friend actually trained this particular dragonfly and it allows us to touch his wings.
    Hope that your dragonfly behaves the same over there!
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you once again for dropping by.

cheers

ric

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Your stink bug looks as though it's a piece of sushi with feet and antennae!

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    I tend to regard myself as a naturalist first and a photographer second. In this country there are certain cooler days when they are less active, but of course more difficult to find. Males usually set up territory and patrol it constantly, when they are behaving like that close approach is out of the question. When freshly emerged from the larva they tend to spend their time away from the breeding sites and rest more whilst their wings harden off, then they can be approached more easily. Also the females tend to rest for a day or two between matings and bouts of egg laying and again they can be more closely approached when they are in that stage. It's very much a matter of knowing your subject, but that maxim applies to all photographic genres I would suggest.

Barrie

• Like Like x 6
  8. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    That's what a few others have commented!
    Thks for viewing!

9. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Barrie, I am neither. I took this hobby to stay healthy when I go out for my morning walks --- I take pics. So far it has worked well for me.

Looks like our dragonflies behaves differently.

cheers

ric

10. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Wow, I wish we had green lizards that ate their meal and stared at the camera, great set of photographs with the major focus being on the eye of the lizard, in the right place at the right time with the right camera and lens, brilliant.
    I would indeed expect your dragonflies to behave differently, in this country they have to be able to withstand cooler conditions which means that to conserve energy on those cooler days they will sit around more. If I was to try and photograph such things in Singapore I would have to learn new tricks.

Barrie

11. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks for viewing and your kind coemnts. Yes it is all about being at the right place at the right time!
    if you are ever coming to this part of the world please let me know and we can go shoot dragonflies together.
    Oh, I have sold off the G1/45-200 and missed that long reach. I am now banging that the 100-300 will be better.

cheers and have a nice day

ric

• Like Like x 2
  12. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    It would be good to be shown your photography site, there certainly seems to be some interesting stuff to photograph there. Many thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind if I do start to travel again.

Barrie

13. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks I will add my Flickr site to my postings.
    Other than dragonflies there are birds, butterflies, insects, spiders to shoot. Landscape here is so so. Hope to see you on of these days.

ric

14. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi ric, you can't complain that your lizards don't co-operate, those are great shots.

Barrie

15. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Barrie, thanks for dropping by. Yes I can't complain - very fortunate!

cheers

ric

16. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

My first reaction was "lox"!

That beautiful creature's body reminded me of a slice of smoked salmon on six legs!

Great shot, Ric! Nice to see you here. Just ordered an E-PL1

17. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

These are absolutely fantastic, Ric. I don't remember seeing them on Flickr.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi Isabel, thank you and yes -- I lifted them from Flicikr.
    I see you have got your EPL1 with the 20mm. Great stuff!

Thanks fro dropping by.

cheers

ric

19. ricseet

ricseet Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 20, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks Isabel, and appreciate your update on the EPL1. Your cats are going to love you even more!

cheers

ric

20. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Those are amazing!

Hi Ric,
    Those are the most amazing shots of that lizard with the mantis in his mouth! How did I miss those on flickr?? They really are some amazing work.
    Jane