Share Birds

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sig

Mu-43 Veteran

Sig

Mu-43 Veteran

Sig

Mu-43 Veteran

This is a terrible photo (edited with desperation) of brolgas, but I'll tell you why I'm posting it.

A few weeks ago we were driving around in bushland, when we came across a mallee fowl, which we had never seen in the wild before, and certainly hadn't expected to see in our area. I was so astonished, it took a few moments before I even thought to get my camera; when I did, I couldn't get a 'good' shot, so I didn't take one.

Afterwards I realised that, sometimes, you just have to take the shot you've got: the conservation group we reported the sighting to was very excited, as mallee fowl had not been reported in that range for a long time. Having included even a 'bad' photo would have given our report greater weight.

When I saw these brolgas near the road, I quickly pulled over, put the window down, turned off the motor, and shot at full zoom (112mm on Fujifilm X30), ignoring any concerns about getting a 'good' photo, as I seldom see brolgas.

I wouldn't consider it 'good enough' to share here, except to share my lesson!

This is a terrible photo (edited with desperation) of brolgas, but I'll tell you why I'm posting it.View attachment 743715
A few weeks ago we were driving around in bushland, when we came across a mallee fowl, which we had never seen in the wild before, and certainly hadn't expected to see in our area. I was so astonished, it took a few moments before I even thought to get my camera; when I did, I couldn't get a 'good' shot, so I didn't take one.

Afterwards I realised that, sometimes, you just have to take the shot you've got: the conservation group we reported the sighting to was very excited, as mallee fowl had not been reported in that range for a long time. Having included even a 'bad' photo would have given our report greater weight.

When I saw these brolgas near the road, I quickly pulled over, put the window down, turned off the motor, and shot at full zoom (112mm on Fujifilm X30), ignoring any concerns about getting a 'good' photo, as I seldom see brolgas.

Concur fully
A lot of my work I need a photo of, that can't wait for ideal conditions.
These birds are (to me) beautifully portrayed in their natural (today's) environs.
I like it..

Reminds me of that old poem
Brolgas, brolgas, out on the plain,
Dance for me, dance for me, once again;

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
This is a terrible photo (edited with desperation) of brolgas, but I'll tell you why I'm posting it.View attachment 743715

Nothing wrong with a grab shot. I like it!

RaymondB

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Raymond Bong
That is very nice
Interested how close you were and cropped?
I'm an EM5II user but looked at G9 and EM1
You've certainly captured that very nicely
I think it should be about 1 meter or 2 before me. I was trying very hard to take some macro shots with this oly60mm lens on my G9.

Image is tightly cropped. Append the original image for comparison.

Thank you for your kind words.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom