Share Birds

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not to sure about what this fellow are, probably some sort of Weaver, have the reference book inbound and will update the info when it gets here.

Pulling materials...

The nests where the bird looked to stem from, some sort of Weaver I think, going on gut feeling and old Nature shows on the telly.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
A few pics taken between bird counts during a working day on the Humber estuary. All with the EM1ii, 300 and MC14...
Adult Herring Gulls (arriving bird is nominate argentatus, on wing tip pattern);
4th calendar year (3rd winter) Herring Gull fly-by;
Turnstone Arenaria interpres;
female Pied Wagtail Mottacilla alba yarellii in tide wrack; Shelduck Tadorna tadorna

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
A few more of the condors in the Colca Canyon, Peru. When soaring on the thermals they are quite elegant. When coming into land, not so much :) Adults have a wingspan in excess of 3 metres or 10 feet.

Real Name
Ken
Viera Wetlands

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
Native Noisy Miner
Pen F with PL100-400mm

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Another Blue Jay Photo. I think Blue Jays are beautiful and I’ve found a park they seem to like. But it is still challenging to get close enough to one for a photograph. And even harder to get a clear shot through the branches. And rare that the light is favorable. But sometimes it happens.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
some more recent birds in the garden... an evening Starling Sturnus vulgaris; Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis and Greenfinch Carduelis chloris (small person of my aquaintance calls the latter "grumpies") in the apple tree
and an ealy morning Robin Erithacus rubecula, 'frosted' after feeding in leaf litter.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
So it is, Grumpy. Apologies to “grumpies” everywhere - senior moments are getting more frequent. I’ll try to remember that only one of my local tit species is still a Parus and that black-headed gull is no longer a Larus...
The scientific name for the European Greenfinch is now Chloris chloris.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another Blue Jay Photo. I think Blue Jays are beautiful and I’ve found a park they seem to like. But it is still challenging to get close enough to one for a photograph. And even harder to get a clear shot through the branches. And rare that the light is favorable. But sometimes it happens.

View attachment 717884 View attachment 717885
I like them myself, and I have many slightly blurred images of Blue Jays. They tend to be skittish and jump around a lot. Often when I approach the window with a camera, they flee. I once had a flock of them descend on our yard around the feeders. They were so busy eating and chattering, they ignored me at the window, and I got several pics with as many as eight of them eating under the tree.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I estimate that at least 25% of the captions on my natural history slide mounts now have an out dated scientific or common English name.

I used a photo of a European Greenfinch in a blog post recently which is why I remembered the new scientific name. All my slides are captioned Carduelis chloris.

The Blue Tit is no longer a Parus or simply a Blue Tit. It's now Eurasian Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus). Another reason for grumpy blog posts.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
More Humber estuary birds. Black-tailed Godwit Limosa limosa islandica, Turnstone Arenaria interpres, 2nd cal year (first winter) Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus, female Pied Wagtail Motacilla alba yarrellii.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I estimate that at least 25% of the captions on my natural history slide mounts now have an out dated scientific or common English name.

I used a photo of a European Greenfinch in a blog post recently which is why I remembered the new scientific name. All my slides are captioned Carduelis chloris.

The Blue Tit is no longer a Parus or simply a Blue Tit. It's now Eurasian Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus). Another reason for grumpy blog posts.
A shot from 32 years ago to illustrate my grump. I have hundreds of shots of nesting cycle of a pair of Eurasian Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus). Except when the photos were taken and captioned they were a Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus).

Cross Post - 300mm f/4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom