Share Birds

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
On a sunny October day in the UK the seagulls were competing with the ducks for bread on the park lake.

1942 Leitz Summitar on a G1

Seagullblur.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seagulls1.jpg

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
On a sunny October day in the UK the seagulls were competing with the ducks for bread on the park lake.

I will apologise in advance and I am perhaps being rather pedantic, but there is no such thing as a seagull, they should all be refered to gulls (it's very much a media thing, they refer to them incorrectly all the time).
Those are actually European Black-headed Gulls in winter plumage. That particular species nests inland on fresh water lakes far removed from the sea. Some do winter on the coast, but most would be on estuaries or fresh water environments.
BTW that old lens seems to be performing quite well.

Barrie

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice sharp shot...what lens?

Isabel

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be a good idea to post and share different pics of Nature on this thread.
From Sep 9, this thread is dedicated to sharing of Birdie Pics.
Do join in the fun and share yours!

Wasp
4741907190_561716224c_b.jpg
"1024" height="1024" alt="Wasp" /></a>[/img]

Thank you for viewing and have a nice day.

ric

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ahah...I've been interested in that lens, Ric...

You've posted some pretty terrific shots taken with it!

The only lens I have is the 20mm and I love it...but I do need more reach.

Thanks.

isabel

Isabel, thank you for viewing and I shot this with the PL 14-150mm/GH1. Infect more than 90% of my posting are shot this lens. I have started to shoot with the 20mm and will sharing some postings.

cheers

ric

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OUCH! I just looked up the price of that lens!....

Wow...I have so much money tied up in Canon glass - I don't think I can justify that much of an expense for what is for me really a secondary camera.

You certainly have produced some fantastic shots with it, Ric, so yours has earned its keep.

Isabel

You've posted some pretty terrific shots taken with it!

The only lens I have is the 20mm and I love it...but I do need more reach.

Thanks.

isabel

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
A slight cheat here Ric, easy to photograph these 2 birds since they had both been caught for ringing (banding in American parlance). You can just see the shiny new ring on the Sparrowhawk adjacent to the thumb joint of the person holding the bird.

Sparrowhawk-P8231889.jpg

Immature female Sparrowhawk

Firecrest-9281168.jpg

Female Firecrest

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 DG Macro

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Isabel,
The 20mm is super and you may wish to get the Oly 14 or 40-150? to give you that 300mm reach and you can sit in your lounge and shoot them birdies.
Yes I have enjoyed this lens for the last 3 years and have gotten my ROI back many times.

Have a nice Sunday

ric

Wow...I have so much money tied up in Canon glass - I don't think I can justify that much of an expense for what is for me really a secondary camera.

You certainly have produced some fantastic shots with it, Ric, so yours has earned its keep.

Isabel

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Congrats Barrie

Great capture and that Sparrow Hawk's eyes are sharp! The markings on the body and wings is gorgeous.
Are you involved in this process of ringing them? Should be fun.

The Female Firecrest is sweet and pretty look. I like the colors - reminds me of the Blue Tit.

Thank you for sharing your postings!

cheers and have a nice Sunday.

ric

A slight cheat here Ric, easy to photograph these 2 birds since they had both been caught for ringing (banding in American parlance). You can just see the shiny new ring on the Sparrowhawk adjacent to the thumb joint of the person holding the bird.

Sparrowhawk-P8231889.jpg

Immature female Sparrowhawk

Firecrest-9281168.jpg

Female Firecrest

Panasonic G1 with Sigma 105mm, f/2.8 DG Macro

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Greyelm

Nice capture and I have always know them to be seagulls.
I got educated by Barrie today!

Thank you for sharing your postings with us!

ric

Seagullblur.jpg

Seagulls1.jpg

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Congrats Barrie

Great capture and that Sparrow Hawk's eyes are sharp! The markings on the body and wings is gorgeous.
Are you involved in this process of ringing them? Should be fun.

The Female Firecrest is sweet and pretty look. I like the colors - reminds me of the Blue Tit.

Thank you for sharing your postings!

ric

Hi Ric,
Thanks for your comments. I'm not a ringer but some of my good friends are and so from time to time I attend ringing sessions and act as a scribe (writing down all the information they collect for each bird ringed). It frees up the ringers to process the birds more quickly and release them.
We sometimes get Firecrests that winter here, only very small numbers but seeing one of them on a winters day is fantastic, I'd rather se a Firecrest than many a rarity.

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Barrie, I appreciate that feeling of seeing birdies that are rare. Unfortunately in Singapore I see most of the common birdies. Only when I get to travel I will see the really pretty and colorful ones. That's reminds me to post the birdies pics that I took on my recent birdie trip. Colorful birds but the background are too busy for my liking. As a shot of the record that about it.

I will do that tomorrow

cheers

ric

Hi Ric,
Thanks for your comments. I'm not a ringer but some of my good friends are and so from time to time I attend ringing sessions and act as a scribe (writing down all the information they collect for each bird ringed). It frees up the ringers to process the birds more quickly and release them.
We sometimes get Firecrests that winter here, only very small numbers but seeing one of them on a winters day is fantastic, I'd rather se a Firecrest than many a rarity.

Barrie

ricseet

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Barrie, glad that you like them. I was told that Wag Tail came down from China. I hope that I got it right.

cheers

ric

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Ric,
The breeding range of the Grey Wagtail extends from western Europe right through Russia to the Kamchatka peninsula. All of the eastern populations are migratory and extend down through India, south east Asia and Indonsia. I suppose it's possible that vagrants might even reach the extreme north of Australia, not too much of an overshoot for them.

Barrie

Latest threads

Top Bottom