Share Birds

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
OK, I'll stop shorty, but it's been absolute birdmania here. The Gang-Gang Cockatoos have been squawking about for the last few days and, just now around 8:00pm, have allowed me to take more photos (E-M1, 90-250mm f2.8 and EC-14 handheld). If FF is going to get you substantially better results under the same conditions, I'd love to see it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK, I'll stop shorty, but it's been absolute birdmania here. The Gang-Gang Cockatoos have been squawking about for the last few days and, just now around 8:00pm, have allowed me to take more photos (E-M1, 90-250mm f2.8 and EC-14 handheld). If FF is going to get you substantially better results under the same conditions, I'd love to see it.
This is where the 2X crop factor really shines, and why it's my contention that smaller sensor cameras are better suited to the majority of people. If FF matches the exposure, then the DOF is too narrow, and much of the bird is out of focus. If you match the DOF, then the exposure is long enough to risk motion blur.

kurtwist

Mu-43 Veteran
You can usually use a much higher ISO setting with FF (and still have very low noise) and thus a faster shutter speed and/or smaller aperture. I love m4/3 but for ultimate quality FF is the ticket
Kurt

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It all depends on what we get, but I think I've posted enough on parrots and cockatoos. :)

On the topic of FF, while it has some advantages, I don't think those advantages are as great as some believe.

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
Collared Dove. First play with the 45-150 on the GM1 (too short for a birding lense really, but okay for crops):

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Well Ray, Australia has birds besides Parrots and Cockatoos don't they? Don't you all have Emu's? See if you can catch one of them in flight. :rolleyes:
Seriously, your bird images are outstanding. Keep em coming.
Thanks and I'll see if I can catch a shot of one of those ballistic Emus, though I've never seen one around our area. :)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Just before going to work this morning, another member of our bush brigade was sitting about almost asking why they haven't been photographed, so I was compelled to oblige (E-M1 and 90-250mm plus EC-14).

Having a dummy spit?:

That's better:

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On the topic of FF, while it has some advantages, I don't think those advantages are as great as some believe.
I'm certainly starting to believe you. The green woodpecker I posted the other day was essentially a black silhouette against a sky that was quickly becoming more blue hour than golden hour. I'd love to try a FF with a 600 mm lens and 1.4x converter in similar conditions, but I have a hard time believeing I could actually improve that much on the picture. Besides I tried moms Canon 7D a few days ago and realized how hard it is to manually focus a DSLR without some kind of focusing screen installed. By comparison it's dead easy on the EM-1 with either magnification or focus peaking.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'm certainly starting to believe you. The green woodpecker I posted the other day was essentially a black silhouette against a sky that was quickly becoming more blue hour than golden hour. I'd love to try a FF with a 600 mm lens and 1.4x converter in similar conditions, but I have a hard time believeing I could actually improve that much on the picture. Besides I tried moms Canon 7D a few days ago and realized how hard it is to manually focus a DSLR without some kind of focusing screen installed. By comparison it's dead easy on the EM-1 with either magnification or focus peaking.
All of the bird shots I've posted in the last few days have not been static animals. Despite appearances, they have been in constant motion, be it just the head bobbing around or the entire bird moving about on branches and me having to follow the movements and stay in focus. It's not been easy getting the shots that I've posted and the DoF has been very shallow despite using m4/3. Surprisingly, most have been in focus, with the point of focus varying, but it's the expression/pose that's been the most difficult to get.

I'd suggest that anyone trying to get the same results with FF could possibly be in a world of hurt, stopping down, cranking up ISO and trying to stabilise a very long lens at the same time. I'm not saying that it couldn't be done, but I for one would not like to try with FF under the same working conditions that these shots have been taken. Some might suggest that they can simply do all of that with FF and a shorter FL lens and crop to get the same results, but I suspect that the results wouldn't be quite the same. But we'll never know, because it's unlikely that we'll ever be able to do side by side comparisons.

I really liked the Woodpecker shot, as the silhouette couldn't be mistaken for anything but what it was. Sometimes simplicity works better than anything else.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Just when I thought it was over, a bunch of Black Cockatoos arrives, to strip one of our Banksias and whatever from our neighbour's yard, who was less than impressed with their antics (E-M1 and 90-250mm f2.8 plus EC-14 once again).

My blog post is pretty much fulfilled right now. :)

Fred S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Fred S
A couple of Cold Mallards

EPL-5 and 75-300

tradesmith45

Mu-43 All-Pro
Happy New Year all!

Here's a lousy photo but it contains good news. I believe this to be the fledged Bald Eagle hatched March 3rd that I followed & posted here last spring. That would mean it had survived 6 mo. since fledging. Got this shot of the kid fishing about a mile from the nest site. Its about a 2 mp crop but flooding kept me from getting closer.
[/url]_C300089 - 2014-12-30 at 10-54-57 by tradesmith45, on Flickr[/IMG]

There is a Bald Eagle roost about 35 mi. north of here that has as many as 75 birds gather on a farm next to a river every night in Jan-Mar. Now that I own the ZD300 f2.8 & E-M1, I might have a chance to get good shots of the birds coming & going at dawn/dusk & hope to see this kid up there. Roosts are where adult Balds continue to teach the kids.

Fledglings suffer 50% mortality in their 1st 12 months.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It'd be great to see some shots of the eagles taken with the 300mm. I'd also consider getting the EC-14 for some extra reach and virtually no loss of quality.

Tadgh78

Mu-43 Regular

Taken on Skellig Micheal off the coast of county Kerry in Ireland this summer. Taken with the Panasonic G3 and 100-300m

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom