Share Birds

AlterKnabe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Lens: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Camera: Olympus EM1X micro 4/3 ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F5.6
My new Lens arrived late yesterday. It's a beautiful lens. This is my first image while using it. Got this shot a little over 2 hours ago.
I don't know how to work it yet. lol
Good indications so far though. The lens is enormous but not as enormous as a canon or Nikon equivalent.
It will be hard to hold at 1000mm, even harder at 1400mm.
Too early to tell if it will help, or hurt my game.
I don't know the lens yet. It's big and unwieldy.
Turn quickly the wrong way and someone is standing there that you didn't see, and you could knock them out cold as a cucumber.
Hope you guys are well,
LS
Congratulations to this excellent Body/Lens-Combo. And apparently you deserve it, since you know how to use it, judging from this beautiful shot!

Keeth101

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Asian Open Billed Stork - Anastomus oscitans

49258866958_75f6b5d043_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EM1ii +75-300ii. Thailand.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I wasn't sure if I should spread my images that I made this morning or make a thread on it but I decided to put them on each subject type.
Anywho, I was looking for autumn, foggy and ducky pictures this morning, some have hit the mark, others not so much:

WOF03078-Edit.JPG

Our (local to Wellington) swans pair had 6 little ones and this was the first year in quite some time that did not get murdered by irresponsible dog owners not keeping their dogs in check.

WOF03093-Edit.JPG

The mommy with her brood, Chiu Chiu training on the 2nd largest pond (their favourite spot) at 07:00, the first images as I got there. Hence the very low light.

WOF03098-Edit.JPG

I was switching between the two main ponds, this time I was trying "wildlife" photography on a tripod with a fluid head, a different experice for sure but I finding it to be slower then I'm used to (the horizontal panning seems to be quite stiff).

WOF03262-Edit.JPG

The Running Duck(man?). The morning was forcasted with dense fog ... Well it wasn't all that dense but the water was steaming quite dramatically so I was watching the ducks and the swans while waiting for the sun to break through the big building behind my left side and the trees.

WOF03242.JPG

These 3 ducks were quite funny, sitting behind the reeds looking like the perfect props for Duck Hunter, though I forgot my Nintendo Laser Pistol back home.
WOF03251-Edit.JPG

The Moorhens were very acrobatic this morning, giving me lots of practice with panning on tripod and learning the AF-C tracking of Sony a7C.
WOF03282-Edit.JPG

Some of the ducks were gratious enough to come close enough for my 200mm limited range until I can afford a super telephoto.
WOF03325-Edit.JPG

At 08:30 is where the real magic started, the sunrise was starting to bask some parts of the ponds but it was quite difficult to get the best angles with limited light source, limited foot access and uncooperative subjects. By the way that's dad and one of the offsprings cleaning their feathers. I loved that I could capture the rounded necks at the same time.
WOF03341-Edit-Edit.JPG

I was having some trouble trying to decide if I should expose for the whole scene or for the feathers because swans are so white it can be painfully difficult to get the feathers detailed and properly exposed.
WOF03357-Edit.JPG

So I tried a combination of both, using center spot weighted metering, some pictures I focused on the subject only while others I tried to balance the shadow background with the swans brightness.
WOF03360-Edit.JPG

I just couldn't get the right angle and the swan in the right spot to get the brilliant sunrise light with a more "magical" background\composition.
WOF03370-Edit.JPG

So I switched to the ducks as they were more willing to "play ball" though it was more of them to get one to happen to be where I wanted them.

WOF03369-Edit.JPG

And they were so willing to swim right through the tunnel of light that was breaking through the trees.
WOF03372-Edit.JPG

And then I finally got one of the compositions I wanted, right next to the autumn turning tree hanging above the water, right in the middle of the "light shaft" that was basking the pond.
WOF03417-Edit.JPG

And with this last try I took my leave at 09:00, I made a promise that I wanted to keep and that required me home by 10:00.

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
em1 mark 3 with 75-300mm

PA150005_tonemapped.jpg

fsi22

Mu-43 Regular
61BC58D2-10F5-48E7-8DCD-EF1A87BD8844.jpeg

_A150234.jpg

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
PA140256.jpg

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sergei
Wide angle birds photos)))

00000804 copy.jpg

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
Brent Geese
OI001596~2.JPG

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Bird photography is definitely not my thing, but who can look a gift-bird in the mouth. (sotc)
1A160019.JPG

1A160024.JPG

Real Name
Richard
the Kookaburras at our place are getting accustomed to my presence which is very nice
PA157815PE-DRED1.jpg
PA167992PE-DRED.jpg
PA127748PE-DRED.jpg

Real Name
Richard
a couple of Superb Fairy Wrens are building a nest right outside our front door
The male seems to just fly about with her and does nothing about the nest, coming to roost nearby whilst she does the work.
PA117731PE-Dred.jpg
PA157825PE-DRED.jpg
PA167842PE-Dred.jpg
PA167849PECR1-DRED.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom